Aug 13, 2009, 7:53 PM EDT
The Mariners revealed Thursday that Adrian Beltre could be lost for the rest of the season with a damaged testicle, the result of a bad-hop grounder during Wednesday’s game.
Beltre, who does not wear a cup, suffered tearing of the testicle and apparently some internal bleeding. Surgery would cost him a month and perhaps end his season. If he can go without surgery, perhaps a minimum 15-day DL stint will suffice.
With Beltre on the shelf again, the Mariners will have to go back to Jack Hannahan at third base. It looked like Hannahan would be starting for a few days anyway, since Jack Wilson injured his hamstring last night. But now it appears that Josh Wilson will be called up to fill in there.
There was a slight chance that Beltre could have been traded before the end of the month, but that seems gone now. In 2004, Beltre parlayed a career year into a five-year, $65 million deal with the Mariners. He’s now set to become a free agent again, but he’ll be coming off his worst year as a major leaguer this time.
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 70
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 10
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)