Aug 13, 2009, 7:53 PM EDT
The Mariners revealed Thursday that Adrian Beltre could be lost for the rest of the season with a damaged testicle, the result of a bad-hop grounder during Wednesday’s game.
Beltre, who does not wear a cup, suffered tearing of the testicle and apparently some internal bleeding. Surgery would cost him a month and perhaps end his season. If he can go without surgery, perhaps a minimum 15-day DL stint will suffice.
With Beltre on the shelf again, the Mariners will have to go back to Jack Hannahan at third base. It looked like Hannahan would be starting for a few days anyway, since Jack Wilson injured his hamstring last night. But now it appears that Josh Wilson will be called up to fill in there.
There was a slight chance that Beltre could have been traded before the end of the month, but that seems gone now. In 2004, Beltre parlayed a career year into a five-year, $65 million deal with the Mariners. He’s now set to become a free agent again, but he’ll be coming off his worst year as a major leaguer this time.
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 20
- Wrigley Field — the most human park in baseball — turns 100-years-old 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 72
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 46
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 48