Aug 13, 2009, 7:53 PM EST
The Mariners revealed Thursday that Adrian Beltre could be lost for the rest of the season with a damaged testicle, the result of a bad-hop grounder during Wednesday’s game.
Beltre, who does not wear a cup, suffered tearing of the testicle and apparently some internal bleeding. Surgery would cost him a month and perhaps end his season. If he can go without surgery, perhaps a minimum 15-day DL stint will suffice.
With Beltre on the shelf again, the Mariners will have to go back to Jack Hannahan at third base. It looked like Hannahan would be starting for a few days anyway, since Jack Wilson injured his hamstring last night. But now it appears that Josh Wilson will be called up to fill in there.
There was a slight chance that Beltre could have been traded before the end of the month, but that seems gone now. In 2004, Beltre parlayed a career year into a five-year, $65 million deal with the Mariners. He’s now set to become a free agent again, but he’ll be coming off his worst year as a major leaguer this time.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)