Aug 13, 2009, 7:53 PM EST
The Mariners revealed Thursday that Adrian Beltre could be lost for the rest of the season with a damaged testicle, the result of a bad-hop grounder during Wednesday’s game.
Beltre, who does not wear a cup, suffered tearing of the testicle and apparently some internal bleeding. Surgery would cost him a month and perhaps end his season. If he can go without surgery, perhaps a minimum 15-day DL stint will suffice.
With Beltre on the shelf again, the Mariners will have to go back to Jack Hannahan at third base. It looked like Hannahan would be starting for a few days anyway, since Jack Wilson injured his hamstring last night. But now it appears that Josh Wilson will be called up to fill in there.
There was a slight chance that Beltre could have been traded before the end of the month, but that seems gone now. In 2004, Beltre parlayed a career year into a five-year, $65 million deal with the Mariners. He’s now set to become a free agent again, but he’ll be coming off his worst year as a major leaguer this time.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 85
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 8
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 28
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 33
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (102)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)