Aug 13, 2009, 10:50 AM EST
Despite Rick Sutcliffe’s rantings about it last night (J.A. Happ, who is 8-2 with a 2.75 ERA should go to the pen, Rick? Really?), I think the Phillies made the right move in taking Jamie Moyer out of the rotation. According to Phil Sheridan, Jamie Moyer, despite his complaints yesterday, felt the same way about it, at least theoretically speaking, back in February:
“It was really hurtful to watch Steve Carlton finish his career the way
that he did,” Moyer said that day. “I’m not questioning why he was
playing. But . . . to see him kind of hanging on the last couple of
years – maybe he thought he could still pitch. But he struggled. I hope
I don’t have to go through that.”
Well, Charlie Manuel is trying to save him from that, isn’t he? Beyond that, I still don’t get the “I was miseld” line Moyer was peddling yesterday. Using that logic couldn’t the Phillies, on some level, say they were “misled” too? I mean, I’m sure Moyer told them that he still had a lot left in the tank when he signed that two-year deal, and he obviously doesn’t.
In reality, no one misleads anyone with this stuff. People hope for the best when fortysomething starters are involved. It often doesn’t pan out. When it doesn’t, the team has to make the moves that are best for the team. Ask Tom Glavine. Ask John Smoltz.
Ask the February 2009 version of Jamie Moyer.
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 25
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 30
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 94
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)