Aug 13, 2009, 10:50 AM EDT
Despite Rick Sutcliffe’s rantings about it last night (J.A. Happ, who is 8-2 with a 2.75 ERA should go to the pen, Rick? Really?), I think the Phillies made the right move in taking Jamie Moyer out of the rotation. According to Phil Sheridan, Jamie Moyer, despite his complaints yesterday, felt the same way about it, at least theoretically speaking, back in February:
“It was really hurtful to watch Steve Carlton finish his career the way
that he did,” Moyer said that day. “I’m not questioning why he was
playing. But . . . to see him kind of hanging on the last couple of
years – maybe he thought he could still pitch. But he struggled. I hope
I don’t have to go through that.”
Well, Charlie Manuel is trying to save him from that, isn’t he? Beyond that, I still don’t get the “I was miseld” line Moyer was peddling yesterday. Using that logic couldn’t the Phillies, on some level, say they were “misled” too? I mean, I’m sure Moyer told them that he still had a lot left in the tank when he signed that two-year deal, and he obviously doesn’t.
In reality, no one misleads anyone with this stuff. People hope for the best when fortysomething starters are involved. It often doesn’t pan out. When it doesn’t, the team has to make the moves that are best for the team. Ask Tom Glavine. Ask John Smoltz.
Ask the February 2009 version of Jamie Moyer.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 9
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 19
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)