Carlos Delgado's new injury is a good thing?

Aug 14, 2009, 10:40 AM EDT

At least that’s how the Mets are spinning it:

But how bad is this latest injury for the Mets? Now that they, too, are
playing for 2010, the Mets are using the next seven weeks to assess
their roster. If Delgado had returned, the Mets probably would have
felt obligated to start him at first base a good deal of the time, thus
taking playing opportunities from Daniel Murphy.

The idea, apparently, is to evaluate Murphy’s chances to be the Mets’ first baseman of the future. Given that he’s hitting .249/.311/.371 and has never even slugged .500 in the minors — and given that hitting is his supposedly his strong suit — I’m having trouble featuring him sticking at the position where offense is more important than any other.

1. J. McCann - Aug 14, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Call me all the names you want, but I think Jason Giambi makes sense for the Mets right now. He can teach some of these guys to take some more pitches ala Bob Abreau of the 2009 Angels, plus Jason was always good as handling low throws and footwork around the bag, so he can be a mentor to Young Murphy.
    Giambi has some popularity in NY, and he can help sell some tickets as the Mets long nightmare of 2009 comes to a close.

2. Tom Mattozzi - Aug 14, 2009 at 4:33 PM

Outside of firing all injured players, the manager, the coaches and (first to go) the general manager, NOTHING will end the “long nightmare of 2009″.

3. Tom Mattozzi - Aug 14, 2009 at 4:36 PM

Oh, I forgot…fire the commentators (all but Ron Darling) as well…We want the Mets back….not the “Metsies” as Hernandez refers to them as!

4. Mandie Mcinturf - Jan 14, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Aw, this was a really quality post. In theory I’d like to write like this too – taking time and real effort to make a good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and never seem to get something done.

5. Legal Sounds - Jan 15, 2010 at 12:56 PM

A thoughtful insight and ideas I will use on my blog. You’ve obviously spent some time on this. Well done!

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3638)