Aug 14, 2009, 11:47 AM EDT
* Oakland asked Justin Duchscherer to make one more minor-league rehab start before coming off the disabled list and he responded with five shutout innings last night at rookie-ball. Duchscherer is now on track to join the rotation and make his season debut next week, with the A’s possibly showcasing him for a trade.
* John Tomase of the Boston Herald reports that the Nationals’ search for a full-time general manager is down to Red Sox assistant general manager Jed Hoyer, Diamondbacks director of scouting and player personnel Jerry DiPoto, and current interim general manager Mike Rizzo.
* Red Sox announcer Jerry Remy stopped by Fenway Park for the first time since undergoing cancer treatment and admitted that bouts with depression have kept him from returning to the broadcast booth. “Physically, I feel fine but the other part, that’s been tough to deal with,” Remy said. “I’m not ashamed of anything, people deal with cancer all the time, people deal with depression all the time, too. I’m not embarrassed.”
* Earlier this week Shaquille O’Neal threw out the first pitch at a Cardinals game and also found time to befriend one of the local dwarfs.
* Good news: Vin Scully has backtracked from talk of retiring after next season.
* If you like funny captions about old baseball cards, bookmark this site.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 34
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 22
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 43
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 32
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)