Aug 14, 2009, 11:47 AM EST
* Oakland asked Justin Duchscherer to make one more minor-league rehab start before coming off the disabled list and he responded with five shutout innings last night at rookie-ball. Duchscherer is now on track to join the rotation and make his season debut next week, with the A’s possibly showcasing him for a trade.
* John Tomase of the Boston Herald reports that the Nationals’ search for a full-time general manager is down to Red Sox assistant general manager Jed Hoyer, Diamondbacks director of scouting and player personnel Jerry DiPoto, and current interim general manager Mike Rizzo.
* Red Sox announcer Jerry Remy stopped by Fenway Park for the first time since undergoing cancer treatment and admitted that bouts with depression have kept him from returning to the broadcast booth. “Physically, I feel fine but the other part, that’s been tough to deal with,” Remy said. “I’m not ashamed of anything, people deal with cancer all the time, people deal with depression all the time, too. I’m not embarrassed.”
* Earlier this week Shaquille O’Neal threw out the first pitch at a Cardinals game and also found time to befriend one of the local dwarfs.
* Good news: Vin Scully has backtracked from talk of retiring after next season.
* If you like funny captions about old baseball cards, bookmark this site.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)