Aug 14, 2009, 11:47 AM EST
* Oakland asked Justin Duchscherer to make one more minor-league rehab start before coming off the disabled list and he responded with five shutout innings last night at rookie-ball. Duchscherer is now on track to join the rotation and make his season debut next week, with the A’s possibly showcasing him for a trade.
* John Tomase of the Boston Herald reports that the Nationals’ search for a full-time general manager is down to Red Sox assistant general manager Jed Hoyer, Diamondbacks director of scouting and player personnel Jerry DiPoto, and current interim general manager Mike Rizzo.
* Red Sox announcer Jerry Remy stopped by Fenway Park for the first time since undergoing cancer treatment and admitted that bouts with depression have kept him from returning to the broadcast booth. “Physically, I feel fine but the other part, that’s been tough to deal with,” Remy said. “I’m not ashamed of anything, people deal with cancer all the time, people deal with depression all the time, too. I’m not embarrassed.”
* Earlier this week Shaquille O’Neal threw out the first pitch at a Cardinals game and also found time to befriend one of the local dwarfs.
* Good news: Vin Scully has backtracked from talk of retiring after next season.
* If you like funny captions about old baseball cards, bookmark this site.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)