Aug 14, 2009, 11:47 AM EDT
* Oakland asked Justin Duchscherer to make one more minor-league rehab start before coming off the disabled list and he responded with five shutout innings last night at rookie-ball. Duchscherer is now on track to join the rotation and make his season debut next week, with the A’s possibly showcasing him for a trade.
* John Tomase of the Boston Herald reports that the Nationals’ search for a full-time general manager is down to Red Sox assistant general manager Jed Hoyer, Diamondbacks director of scouting and player personnel Jerry DiPoto, and current interim general manager Mike Rizzo.
* Red Sox announcer Jerry Remy stopped by Fenway Park for the first time since undergoing cancer treatment and admitted that bouts with depression have kept him from returning to the broadcast booth. “Physically, I feel fine but the other part, that’s been tough to deal with,” Remy said. “I’m not ashamed of anything, people deal with cancer all the time, people deal with depression all the time, too. I’m not embarrassed.”
* Earlier this week Shaquille O’Neal threw out the first pitch at a Cardinals game and also found time to befriend one of the local dwarfs.
* Good news: Vin Scully has backtracked from talk of retiring after next season.
* If you like funny captions about old baseball cards, bookmark this site.
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 3
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 4
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 37
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)