Aug 14, 2009, 11:47 AM EDT
* Oakland asked Justin Duchscherer to make one more minor-league rehab start before coming off the disabled list and he responded with five shutout innings last night at rookie-ball. Duchscherer is now on track to join the rotation and make his season debut next week, with the A’s possibly showcasing him for a trade.
* John Tomase of the Boston Herald reports that the Nationals’ search for a full-time general manager is down to Red Sox assistant general manager Jed Hoyer, Diamondbacks director of scouting and player personnel Jerry DiPoto, and current interim general manager Mike Rizzo.
* Red Sox announcer Jerry Remy stopped by Fenway Park for the first time since undergoing cancer treatment and admitted that bouts with depression have kept him from returning to the broadcast booth. “Physically, I feel fine but the other part, that’s been tough to deal with,” Remy said. “I’m not ashamed of anything, people deal with cancer all the time, people deal with depression all the time, too. I’m not embarrassed.”
* Earlier this week Shaquille O’Neal threw out the first pitch at a Cardinals game and also found time to befriend one of the local dwarfs.
* Good news: Vin Scully has backtracked from talk of retiring after next season.
* If you like funny captions about old baseball cards, bookmark this site.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)