Aug 14, 2009, 6:05 PM EST
- The pitching matchup of the night pits Clayton Kershaw against Dan Haren as the Dodgers take on the Diamondbacks in Arizona. Kershaw currently ranks seventh in the NL in ERA, two spots behind Haren. The two are going in opposite directions, though. Kershaw has a 1.55 ERA since the beginning of June and a 1.10 ERA since the beginning of July. Haren, who entered the All-Star break as the major league leader in ERA, has given up 16 earned runs in his last four starts. He’s 1-1 with a 2.08 ERA in two starts against the Dodgers this year, while Kershaw has yet to face the Diamondbacks.
- The Phillies and Braves are both coming off series sweeps as they face off in Atlanta tonight. Philadelphia just took three straight from the Cubs. Atlanta has won five straight against the Dodgers and the previously surging Nationals. Tonight’s game will feature two rather unlucky starters, at least as far as wins and losses go. Joe Blanton has allowed three runs or fewer in 12 of his last 13 starts, yet he’s just 7-6 for the season. Jair Jurrjens is 9-8 with a 3.01 ERA. The Braves have scored a total of 10 runs in his losses.
Game of the Night
Boston vs. Texas – The AL wild card leaders will begin a three-game series in Texas tonight. The Red Sox, who are a half-game out in front, will send Jon Lester to the mound, while the Rangers counter with Kevin Millwood. Both starters are 9-7 with ERAs in the mid-3.00s, though Lester has been the far better pitcher lately. Millwood has just one win in his last seven starts. However, that did come against the Red Sox back on July 20. The Rangers will have Ian Kinsler back at second base tonight after he missed 16 days with a strained hamstring,
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (102)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)