Mauer a lock for AL MVP?

Aug 15, 2009, 5:30 PM EDT

Tyler Kepner, who covers the Yankees for the New York Times, sparked a mini-controversy with an innocent little tweet following Mark Teixeria’s heroics in a 4-2 win over the Mariners on Friday night.

“By the way, this is probably obvious by now, but Teixeira’s the AL MVP. No question, as Joe Torre would say.”

Rob Neyer and Joe Posnanski
have already whacked him on the head for suggesting that anyone besides
Joe Mauer could realistically win the award. I’m with them. As I
watched him go 3-for-3 against the Indians on Friday night,
raising his batting average to .375 for the year, I was hard-pressed to
think of another player even remotely worthy of the distinction.
After all, Mauer enters play on Saturday tops in the league in batting,
on-base percentage (.444), slugging percentage (.622) and OPS (1.067),
all while playing the most demanding position in the league.

But, in my quest to find his nearest competition, I decided to look at two leading metrics for evaluating players:

Wins Above Replacement (WAR) Leaders – AL:

5. Michael Young – 41.8

6. Derek Jeter – 41.5

7. Kevin Youkilis – 41.1

8. Justin Morneau – 39.9

9. Ben Zobrist – 39.4

10. Marco Scutaro – 37.9

You know, just in case you needed
any more evidence that Mauer is far and away the best player in the
league this season. It shouldn’t be close, really. But I suspect that
Kepner is focusing on an old-fashioned idea like winning baseball
games. And as the Twins currently sit in third place with an 18.3%
chance of making the playoffs, according to
Cool Standings, Mauer could, but shouldn’t, lose a few votes if they miss out come October.

But if we want to use Kepner’s
argument, Teixeira might not even be the most valuable player on his
own team. With an improved UZR (+8.3) to go along with an excellent
.318/.387/.456 line and the metrics shown above, Derek Jeter has a
stronger case for some individual hardware.

1. mike - Aug 24, 2009 at 8:40 AM

How can anyone with pulse see Mauer as MVP? He has 381 at bats! That ranks 60th in the AL. he also has 78 RBI which isn’t even in the top 10. He may be batting champ but that’s about it. There is a better argument for Morneau as MVP. What happens is that they need someone other than a Yankee to give the MVP to so they look elsewhere. If Tex is still on the Angels he is MVP hands down. Look at 1999. Jeter was 6th in the MVP after hittng 349, 102 rbi and 24 HRs. He came in 6th. They gave it to Pedroia last year. Do think any Yankees wins an MVP with those weak ass stats?

2. scaryhairguy - Aug 24, 2009 at 2:28 PM

I keep hearing TEX FOR MVP! But I have yet to hear a good reason other than that he plays for the Yankees… as if it is his birthright. I’m sure Y fans love him but that’s not enough. Wake up and deal with the fact that someone else is having a better season. Because Tex isn’t having a better season than Mauer and that is a fact.

3. HOTROD - Aug 24, 2009 at 3:50 PM

WHO GIVES A CRAP, THEY BOTH SUX FOR A TEAM THAT SUX……..
    BY THE WAY WHO THE ARE YOU ???
    U R A SCHMUCK……….
    NOW, GO JUMP ROPE WITH THE OTHER LITTLE GIRLS…….

4. HOTROD - Aug 24, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Greenie, what good is the best player on a team that SUX……
    If it makes sense to you maybe you need to pull your
    head out your a-s-s- …………
    MAYBE ALL THE BEST PLAYERS ON LOSING/ NON PLAYOFF TEAMS
    SHOULD BE ELIGIBLE FOR MVP…………
    GREENIE GO READ UP ON BASBALL, THEN COME BACK

5. HOTROD - Aug 24, 2009 at 4:34 PM

OH SORRY, DIDN’T KNOW WE HAD TO MOVE ASIDE OUR OPINION FOR THE
    PEOPLE UP IN MINNESOTA………I MEAN THOSE BIG CITY FOLK KNOW
    EVERYTHING, DON’T THEY …….
    WHY DON’T YOU COME UP TO NEW YORK SOMETIME, JETER IS LQQKING FOR
    A LADY TO CLEAN HIS WORLD SERIES RINGS, WORLD SERIES MVP, ALLSTAR
    MVP, ROOKIE OF THE YEAR, SILVER SLUGGER, GOLD GLOVES TROPHIES. I’M
    SURE YOUR HUSBAND WOULDN’T MIND, HEY JETER MAY DO SOME CHARITY FOR
    YOU, HE LOVES THE LADIES HE MAY KNOCK YA BOOTZ.
    BUH BYE……
    and didn’t win the MVP because the Yankees were crap that year,
    you’d all riot.
    AGAIN, YOU ARE WRONG, DIDN’T THE KNOCK THE TWINS OUT THAT YEAR
    CHECK IT OUT RELOAD AND COME AGAIN

6. Mike - Aug 24, 2009 at 4:58 PM

How about 31 HR and 93 RBI. Hell. Morneau is a better choice than Mauer. He is 12th in the league in HR, 18th in runs scored. Who cares if he has a great OBP if he can’t score. Big deal, he plays catcher. if that’s an argument, Jim Sunberg would have 10 MVP’s.

7. Greenie - Aug 24, 2009 at 6:25 PM

@HOTROD All players on all teams should be eligible for the MVP regardless of how well thier respective teams do. Your argument makes no sense. The best player should win MVP.
    Your “intelligent” argument is compelling HOTROD.

8. laughing - Aug 24, 2009 at 6:37 PM

The yankees.
    All they do is choke.
    I always love that one.

9. Zack - Aug 25, 2009 at 1:20 AM

I can’t believe people are poo-pooing Mauer’s ridiculous stats because he plays for an underachieving team. Tex is having a good season, but I don’t think he’s head and shoulders above Morneau or Miguel Cabrera. If you insist on making a Yankee MVP, I’d go with Jeter, but Mauer has better offensive numbers at an even more offensively deficient position. And he’s also a great defender. Mauer’s missed a month and has 10 more homers and 20 more RBIs than Jeter.
    Also the idea that Morneau is the more valuable of Mauer & Morneau is pretty laughable. Mauer was more valuable in ’06 and in ’08, and he is definitely more so this year. If Mauer keeps up this pace, and isn’t MVP, it’d be a disgrace.

10. TOTROD - Aug 25, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Your a disgrace to humanity with such arguments as that. You could at least watch Mauer and take notes instead of stooping around creating pathetic opinions as to why no one else deserves the AL MVP.
    By the way, nice use of the caps lock key. It really got your point across the table.

11. HOTROD - Aug 26, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Dude, stop trying on you moms G-STRING panties, they are too tight for you and cutting off blood circulation to your brain or it could be that you are smokin TOO MUCH OF YOUR nascar watching FATHERS CRACK.
    I love you SISSY MEN who never played sports like a real man
    trying to give me advice especially since you were playing hopscotch and dolly house with the other girls you BIG CINDERELLA.
    I’M GLAD THE CAPS ANNOY YOU, YOU ARE A REAL DRAMA QUEEN, BUT EVERYONE KNOWS THAT ABOUT YOU ALREADY, BY THE WAY, MOVE OUT YOU MOMS BASEMENT AND GET A LIFE, YOU ARE PATHETIC EXCUSE FOR A MAN, YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF HOW YOU REFLECT ON YOUR FAMILY.MAN UP YOU DRAG QUEEN.
    DUDE, WHO THE UCK ARE YOU ANYWAY ??

12. HOTROD - Aug 26, 2009 at 11:40 AM

I love you SISSY MEN who never played sports like a real man
    DUDE, WHO THE UCK ARE YOU ANYWAY ??

13. WhyNotYoukilis - Aug 26, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Joe Mauer is having a transcendant season…but his team isn’t going to make the playoffs. If you’re looking for the MVP from a playoff-bound team, look no further than Kevin Youkilis. He’s carried the Sox all season, both with his bat and his ability to play Gold Glove defense at both first and third (and he’s stepped into play both right and left field due to injuries). His OPS (.986 vs .937) and VORP (7th vs 15th) are both better than Teixeira. With Lowell’s injury and Ortiz’s precipitous decline, no player has meant more to his team.

14. TOTROD - Aug 26, 2009 at 1:26 PM

With all of your talk about “Sissy Men”, “Father’s Crack”, and “Panties”, I am starting to wonder if it’s just your time of the month.
    I think it is you who needs to man up and get an education.

15. Greenie - Aug 26, 2009 at 3:46 PM

@YNYouk
    Hypothetical.
    If the Red sox miss the playoffs then – by your logic- Youkilis would not be able to be considered correct?
    I don’t dispute his importance to the Sox but I think that it is easier to argue that point when the Red Sox might make the playoffs. Don’t forget that the season has not ended yet and that as long as teams are not mathematicaly eliminated and there are still games to play…
    just think its illogical to throw out the acchievments of an individual based on his teams location in the standings.
    just sayin.
    Twins have won 5 straight.
    just sayin

16. Greenie - Aug 26, 2009 at 3:55 PM

Youk is the MVP of the Redsox and Tex or Jeter may be the MVP of the Yankees. You can find one on (almost) every team. But Mauer is in the midst of accomplishing something that only names like joe dimaggio or ted williams haver inked thier names to. You cannot argue that such accomplishments are simply part of a wasted season because Minnesota’s pitching has been awful… (because that’s the real problem in Minnesota)

17. HOTROD - Aug 27, 2009 at 4:13 PM

First of ALL WHO ARE YOU, REALLY HOW THE HECK DID SUCH A SMALL FRY LIKE YOU POP UP ON MY RADAR I HAVE NO IDEA, I USUALLY DO NOT PICK UP STRAY WOMAN. IF YOU WANT TO IDOLIZE ME FINE, I HOPE YOUR NOT A STALKER. I HAVE TO GO NOW YOU ARE NOT IMPORTANT TO ME SO I WILL ASK YOU TO STAY AWAY AND DONOT ATTEMPT TO CONTACT ME AGAIN.
    EDUCATION, GOOD ONE IN BROOKLYN THEY WOULD SLAP YOU UP WITH A RANK LIKE THAT, ANYWAY THIS IS BORING.
    BUH BYE……….

18. TOTROD - Aug 27, 2009 at 4:56 PM

“EDUCATION, GOOD ONE IN BROOKLYN THEY WOULD SLAP YOU UP WITH A RANK LIKE THAT” I’m sure they would slap you if you turned in an essay with a sentence as grammatically horrendous as that. It seems like they have at least taken the time to teach you how to use the caps lock button. Keep up the good work. Now, when will you be returning to kindergarten?

19. observer - Aug 28, 2009 at 4:42 PM

This is the stupidest thread I’ve ever read.

20. HOTROD - Aug 31, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Hey Drag Queen, grammer ?, I was kissing girls at the time you were studying up ya grammer and now you don’t like girls you little doll playing sissy. I really hope you STOP contacting me because I would never contact a weirdo like you, as you seem to have a LOSER MENTALITY. WHAT IS ABOUT CAPS THAT MAKES YOU SO WET AND BOTHERED LADY ???

21. older than four years old - Aug 31, 2009 at 3:52 PM

Mauer wins MVP hands down. I predict that he will receive all of the first place votes.

22. TOTROD - Sep 1, 2009 at 8:01 AM

“I really hope you STOP contacting me because I would never contact a weirdo like you”
    I am pretty sure you are still contacting me, hence another despicable post that really makes no point. The caps lock isn’t necessarily the thing that bothers me; what bothers me is the fact that you seem to be very uneducated.

23. JTalive7 - Sep 1, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Ok, I stopped reading this afterawhile because people are commenting based on teams they like. I love Teixeira and as a Sox fan, I was bummed when we didn’t land him and the g’damned Yankees did. He’s one of my favorite players in baseball. But he’s not the MVP this year. Not even close. I’d give it to Jeter before him. But honestly, Mauer IS the MVP. You can’t claim Teixeira is the reason the Yankees are doing so well. They have HUGE bats in every spot in the lineup then the pitching staff then the RP. COme on!! What do the Twins have? A few bats? Scott Baker? If your starting pitchers don’t come through, you can’t make it to Joe Nathan. The MVP should go to the player that has the most effect on his team, i.e., Mauer. The Yanks would do just fine without Tex. The Twins…not so much w/o Mauer. Yankees fans, get over yourselves.

24. Don O'C - Sep 1, 2009 at 12:05 PM

“edge over Mauer is his Gold Glove fielding at lst base…?”
    Please come on and face reality…Mauer IS already a Gold Glove catcher and a Silver Bat Slugger at that position…running the on-field pitching staff…throwing out base stealers and still slugging well over .625. My judgement…Texeria’s not a good enough athlete for that position (you can tell by the way he moves…). I’ll take Mauer even up anyday!!!

25. Don O'C - Sep 1, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Who told you Mauer has back problems???
    Last I read was that he was operated last winter for a benign birth defect in his back. It was corrected. Since missing the lst month (April)he has caught most every game and DH’d when given a “day off” very 10 days or so.
    That is certainly not evidence of a “ticking time bomb” bad back!
    Sir, you are incorrect in your opinion!

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4032)