Mauer a lock for AL MVP?

Aug 15, 2009, 5:30 PM EDT

Tyler Kepner, who covers the Yankees for the New York Times, sparked a mini-controversy with an innocent little tweet following Mark Teixeria’s heroics in a 4-2 win over the Mariners on Friday night.

“By the way, this is probably obvious by now, but Teixeira’s the AL MVP. No question, as Joe Torre would say.”

Rob Neyer and Joe Posnanski
have already whacked him on the head for suggesting that anyone besides
Joe Mauer could realistically win the award. I’m with them. As I
watched him go 3-for-3 against the Indians on Friday night,
raising his batting average to .375 for the year, I was hard-pressed to
think of another player even remotely worthy of the distinction.
After all, Mauer enters play on Saturday tops in the league in batting,
on-base percentage (.444), slugging percentage (.622) and OPS (1.067),
all while playing the most demanding position in the league.

But, in my quest to find his nearest competition, I decided to look at two leading metrics for evaluating players:

Wins Above Replacement (WAR) Leaders – AL:

5. Michael Young – 41.8

6. Derek Jeter – 41.5

7. Kevin Youkilis – 41.1

8. Justin Morneau – 39.9

9. Ben Zobrist – 39.4

10. Marco Scutaro – 37.9

You know, just in case you needed
any more evidence that Mauer is far and away the best player in the
league this season. It shouldn’t be close, really. But I suspect that
Kepner is focusing on an old-fashioned idea like winning baseball
games. And as the Twins currently sit in third place with an 18.3%
chance of making the playoffs, according to
Cool Standings, Mauer could, but shouldn’t, lose a few votes if they miss out come October.

But if we want to use Kepner’s
argument, Teixeira might not even be the most valuable player on his
own team. With an improved UZR (+8.3) to go along with an excellent
.318/.387/.456 line and the metrics shown above, Derek Jeter has a
stronger case for some individual hardware.

1. Don O'C - Sep 1, 2009 at 12:30 PM

anyone else sense that HOTROD might have a sexual hang-up?
    What are constant sexual connotations doing in a sports commentary
    about baseball MVP’s???

2. TOTROD - Sep 1, 2009 at 3:28 PM

“GO PLAY JUMP ROPE AND HOP SCOTCH WITH THE GIRLS”, “GET OVER YOUR MAN CRUSH”, “NOW, GO JUMP ROPE WITH THE OTHER LITTLE GIRLS”, “trying on you moms G-STRING panties”, “FATHERS CRACK”, “I love you SISSY MEN”, “playing hopscotch and dolly house with the other girls”, “BIG CINDERELLA”, “A REAL DRAMA QUEEN”, “DRAG QUEEN”, “don’t like girls you little doll playing sissy”. Yes, Don. I will agree with you on that note. I’ve been trying to help the poor man, but I don’t think he is catching on. On another note, I completely agree with JTalive and Don. Mauer is hitting .368/.436/.615 as a flexible player. He has won the leagues silver slugger in ’06 and ’08; Mauer deserves AL MVP. Just for the record, I am not being biased. I am not even a twins fan, but Mauer has my vote.

3. HOTROD - Sep 1, 2009 at 3:58 PM

DUDE, U R LOSER, STOP TRYING ON YOUR MOTHER CLOTHS…………
    WHO ARE YOU ???
    THIS SITE HAS TO MANY DRAMA QUEENS LIKE YOU
    AND TOTROD – SO FUNNY –
    BOTH OF YOU CAN EAT SHIT AND DIE….LOSERS

4. HOTROD - Sep 1, 2009 at 4:04 PM

ANOTHER GUY WHO IS BUSY PLAYING WITH HIMSELF IN HIS MOMS BASEMENT
    AT THE AGE OF 43…………. DUDE, DIDN’T I GET RID OF YOU YESTERDAY ??? U R LIKE A DOG FLEA……….KEEPS ON COMING BACK.
    DUDE, U R LIKE A FART IN A BLIZZARD, U DON’T KNOW WHICH WAY TO GO…
    LIKE THE CAPS, I KNOW IT ANNOYS YOU SMARTY PANTS GRAMMER MAN……..
    WHY DON’T U AND DON GET A ROOM AND SUCK ON ONE ANOTHER

5. TOTROD - Sep 1, 2009 at 4:28 PM

Here you go talking about trying on your mother’s clothes again. I understand you have just created yourself a fantasy with Don and myself in a room, but you must understand that we are not interested in that kind of foreplay as you might be. I’m like a fart in a blizzard? Have you ever even tested that theory? I encourage you to go fart in a blizzard and tell me where it ends up.

6. HOTROD - Sep 2, 2009 at 11:44 AM

I HOPE THE FART BLOWS INTO YOUR FACE SO YOU CAN GET A GOOD SMELL.
    DUDE, GO AWAY ALREADY YOU ARE LIKE A PUPPY TRAILING ME, IT IS KIND OF PATHETIC AND SCARY NOW. ANYWAY, YOU AND YOUR GAY AMERICAN LOVER
    DON SHOULD PLAN A ROMANTIC GETAWAY, I FOR ONE HAVE NO INTEREST IN THAT, I LIKE GIRLS. I NOTICED YOU AND DON HAVE NEVER DENIED YOUR GAY LOVE AFFAIR, I SURE HOPE YOUR WIFE AND CHILDREN CAN ACCEPT
    YOUR LOVE AFFAIR, MAYBE YOU CAN ALL LIVE TOGETHER, IT’S CATCHING ON SO YOU BOTH CAN TRY THAT MAYBE EVEN GEY MARRIED.
    BUH BYE

7. TOTROD - Sep 2, 2009 at 1:28 PM

I may be the puppy that won’t go away, but you must be the flea that keeps on coming back. If you think Don and I should plan a romantic, homosexual getaway…I would be honored if you would plan it for us with all of your knowledge on homosexuality. Besides, Don and I had a lovely, romantic three and a half hour phone chat late last night and I can assure you that there is no love affair.

8. HOTROD - Sep 2, 2009 at 4:35 PM

SO YOU HAD ONE OF YOUR LITTLE FRIENDS COME ON BOARD AS A FAKE
    POSTER HERE ??
    WAIT UNTIL YOUR WIVES FIND OUT THEY ARE MARRIED TO
    SKANK CRACK HEADS
    BUH BYE LOSER

9. HOTROD - Sep 2, 2009 at 4:37 PM

SO YOU HAD ONE OF YOUR LITTLE FRIENDS COME ON BOARD AS A FAKE
    POSTER HERE ??
    WAIT UNTIL YOUR WIVES FIND OUT THEY ARE MARRIED TO
    SKANK CRACK HEADS
    I LIKE BOOBIES…….. YOU LIKE BALLS
    BUH BYE LOSER

10. Ken - Sep 2, 2009 at 4:43 PM

The idea of an MVP actually making an important contribution to his team’s performance (ie taking them to the playoffs) is not new. For that reason, I go with Jeter over Mauer. Andre Dawson winning his mvp award way back when was over the top as well.

11. jon - Sep 2, 2009 at 11:33 PM

Mauer’s team will make the playoff or at least take it down to the final week. If it wasn’t for him they’d be 15-20 games back. Yankee fans know nothing outside of the eastern time zone. Mauer defineitly should win it. I defineitly don’t want to hear the Yankees B**ching when Greinke wins the Cy Young

12. TOTROD - Sep 3, 2009 at 8:00 AM

Yes, I understand you like boobies. We don’t have those tropical birds in the midwest. However, I am trying to help you understand your sexuality not understand the various species of birds. No, Don and I do not know each other, but we agree on the fact that you are having a struggle with taking that first step out of the closet.

13. HOTROD - Sep 3, 2009 at 12:08 PM

LADY, WHY DON’T YOU GO WATCH SOAP OPERAS AND STOP NAGGIN ME.

14. HOTROD - Sep 3, 2009 at 12:36 PM

WAS THAT MONTREAL OR CUBBIES ??

15. HOTROD - Sep 3, 2009 at 12:39 PM

U KNOW WHAT YOU HAND OUT ALL THOSE FREAKING TROPHIES MY YANKS
    WILL TELL U THEY WANT THE TROPHY BUD SELIG HANDS OUT IN OCTOBER…
    FOR THE 27TH TIME,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    EAT SHIT AND DIE YANKEE HATERS

16. TOTROD - Sep 3, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Just a Yankee ALCS reminder…
    2002: Angels Def. Yankees
    2003: Marlins Def. Yankees
    2004: Red Sox Def. Yankees in best of 7, Yankees were up 3-0.
    2005: Angels Def. Yankees
    2006: Tigers Def. Yankees
    2007: Indians Def. Yankees
    Good luck with that 27.

17. Stevem7 - Sep 3, 2009 at 7:09 PM

Give me a break … Joe Mauer is playing on a 2nd place team that is one game over .500 while Derek Jeter is singlehandedly carrying the Yankees to 6 games better than any other team in baseball. There is no question who should walk away with the MVP Award.

18. Ed Ewing - Sep 4, 2009 at 11:22 AM

They will probably finish 3rd with him, or without him. Unless his team at least wins the division (third best division in the American League), he doesnt deserve it.

19. Greenie - Sep 4, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Yankee delusion at its most refined. What do they put in that coolaid out there on the east coast anyway? It must be delicious because you’re all slurping it up and getting those colored mustaches and everything.
    And I especially love the part about..”Jeter is singlehandedly carrying bla bla…”

20. Greenie - Sep 4, 2009 at 12:17 PM

Ed
    A teams position should have no realevance in a players eligibitl… how many times has it been said. Your argument is weak. Especially in pointing out that the Central being somehow a weaker division has even more to do with it. Somehow I think that, even if the Twins were leading the central, you and others would say that his team needs to have the best record in baseball or that God himself should be attending the games at least (at least since we all have been shown that God truly does forever love the Yankees). Its all too convenient for all you delusional miscreants. Your belief in Yankee priority is laughable(I am only assuming your allegiance to said team because it is convenient). Let me remind you that there are better players in baseball that do not play for the Yankees. Gasp. Breathe. Now take a moment and let that resonate.
    I will be laughing all the way home when Mauer wins because he will.

21. MNTwinsFAN - Sep 11, 2009 at 3:34 PM

I can’t wait to see you Yankee fans cry when Mauer wins the MVP over Jeter, just like you all did in 2006 when Morneau won it.

22. fraz - Sep 11, 2009 at 6:03 PM

anyone who thinks tex is the mvp is nothing more than a biased yankee fan. he’s been playing in a stadium that any slob can hit a homer in. just look at his hitting in yankee stadium versus in away games, not so impressive outside of nyc. he also plays first base, which is one of the least demanding positions in the game. not to mention who is is surrounded by in the lineup. mauer, on the other hand, plays in a pitcher friendly ballpark where he anchors a young rotation while playing the most demanding position in baseball. he also plays gold glove caliber defense and has nowhere near as potent of a lineup to help him out (especially with the injuries the twins have had to deal with).

23. Bill Winterspoon - Dec 19, 2009 at 5:15 PM

I revelled reading it. I require to read more on this subject…I am admiring the time and effort you put in your blog, because it is apparently one great place where I can find lot of reusable info..

1. H. Pence (2160)