Aug 15, 2009, 7:02 PM EDT
- The nightmare season for the Mets continues as David Wright had to leave Saturday’s game against the Giants after getting beaned in the head by a 94 MPH fastball by Matt Cain.
Of course, Johan Santana had to follow that up with his best Shawn
Estes impression, throwing behind Pablo Sandoval in retaliation. What
happens two pitches later? Kung-Fu Panda hits a moonshot to the second
deck in left. Only the Mets, folks. Only the Mets.
- Brett Myers was supposed to start for Single-A Clearwater on Saturday night,
but the rehab outing was scratched after he was hit in the eye while
playing catch with his four-year old son. Nevermind, it happened when
he fell out of his truck. Nothing else to see here. Move along.
- According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, John Smoltz doesn’t have any plans to retire and would be open to joining a club as a starter or a reliever.
The Red Sox have until Monday to trade or release Smoltz, but moving
his contract is pretty unlikely at this juncture. The Dodgers, Rangers,
Cardinals and Marlins are believed to have interest in the 42-year-old.
The future Hall of Famer had a 8.33 ERA and 1.70 WHIP over eight starts
- According to Baseball America,
first-round picks Mike Leake (Reds), Nick Franklin (Mariners) and Chad
James (Marlins) have all come to terms with their respective teams. If
you count James, 18 of the 32 first-round picks have signed, with No. 3 pick Donovan Tate expected to sign with the Padres in short order.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 16
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)