Aug 15, 2009, 7:02 PM EST
- The nightmare season for the Mets continues as David Wright had to leave Saturday’s game against the Giants after getting beaned in the head by a 94 MPH fastball by Matt Cain.
Of course, Johan Santana had to follow that up with his best Shawn
Estes impression, throwing behind Pablo Sandoval in retaliation. What
happens two pitches later? Kung-Fu Panda hits a moonshot to the second
deck in left. Only the Mets, folks. Only the Mets.
- Brett Myers was supposed to start for Single-A Clearwater on Saturday night,
but the rehab outing was scratched after he was hit in the eye while
playing catch with his four-year old son. Nevermind, it happened when
he fell out of his truck. Nothing else to see here. Move along.
- According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, John Smoltz doesn’t have any plans to retire and would be open to joining a club as a starter or a reliever.
The Red Sox have until Monday to trade or release Smoltz, but moving
his contract is pretty unlikely at this juncture. The Dodgers, Rangers,
Cardinals and Marlins are believed to have interest in the 42-year-old.
The future Hall of Famer had a 8.33 ERA and 1.70 WHIP over eight starts
- According to Baseball America,
first-round picks Mike Leake (Reds), Nick Franklin (Mariners) and Chad
James (Marlins) have all come to terms with their respective teams. If
you count James, 18 of the 32 first-round picks have signed, with No. 3 pick Donovan Tate expected to sign with the Padres in short order.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 9
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 71
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 57
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)