Bobby Valentine is looking for work

Aug 16, 2009, 9:40 AM EDT

Barry M. Bloom of MLB.com penned an excellent piece on former Mets and Rangers manager Bobby Valentine,
who recently agreed to part ways with the Chiba Lotte Marines of
Japan’s Pacific League after this season. As a result, the 59-year-old
Valentine is on the hunt for a job in the United States, whether on television or managing a major league team.

“That would be ideal. I still work out every day. I don’t drink and eat too much, so
I think I can do that. I can be on the field. I can deal with the young
people and do the thing I love the most. And if not, maybe I’ll have to
talk about people who are doing the thing they love to do the most.”

And what about those Mets fans jonesin’ for a reunion? Not so fast, according to general manager Omar Minaya:

“No, no, not here. I’m very happy with Jerry Manuel. That’s not even a consideration.”

After being asked if Valentine would even be considered as a consultant, Minaya said:

“The way my staff is set up now, I don’t see that happening, no.”

Minaya is saying exactly what he is
supposed to say (for once), but casually dismissing Valentine isn’t the way to go here. Valentine enjoys overwhelming popularity among Mets
fans who would gladly welcome his return in any capacity. He was even rumored for the top job
before the Mets hired Willie Randolph in 2004. For him to not even to be a
consideration during the off-season would be blatant stupidity and
disrespect to one of the franchise’s most beloved figures.

1. hop - Aug 16, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Glad to see Omar is happy with Jerry, i know i am always happy to see the mets getting their arse kicked. Please dont change a thing omar!

2. ANTHONY - Aug 16, 2009 at 5:17 PM

REPLACE OH NO MINAYA THEN HIRE VALENTINE AS MANAGER INJURIES ARE A BAD EXCUSE FOR THIS TEAM , THIS IS THE PRODUCT HE PUT TOGETHER!!!!
    WHAT HAPPENED THE LAST 2 YEARS WHEN THEY COLLAPSED? THEY HAVE NO FARM SYSTEM .WHOM IS MINAYA TO BLAME FOR THAT? TIME TO REACH BACK AND BRING SOME RESPECTABILITY TO THIS ORGANAZATION
    GM KEITH HERNANDEZ
    MANAGER BOBBY VALENTINE
    PIT COACH RON DARLING
    DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. J Keeler - Aug 16, 2009 at 6:17 PM

Enough is enough- clean house – GM,Manager,Coaches and minor league players making too much money.
    ReHire Bobby V and people who know Baseball or next year we will have more of the same with or without injuries

4. John Pileggi - Aug 16, 2009 at 7:41 PM

Jerry Manuel is a tremendous human being, and a fine manager. It is difficult to draw any conclusions as to his on going employment as Mets manager, given the incredible number of injuries to key players this season. Valentine, in my humble view, is one of the best managers in baseball. Whether the availability of Valentine should trump Manuel’s bad luck is a very, very tough question. It would be unfair to Manuel to have Valentine join the Mets in any capacity while he is still the manager. Let’s see how the Mets compete with what is left of the season. If Manuel can keep the team from quitting, he deserves to come back.

5. John Pileggi - Aug 16, 2009 at 7:43 PM

6. Kim - Aug 16, 2009 at 8:45 PM

The Mets don’t want him, the Indians NEED him…PLEASE!

7. Japanese Kimonos - Feb 4, 2010 at 12:40 AM

I like your writing style thanks for the info -cheers-

8. Tatum Hoverson - Feb 5, 2010 at 1:56 AM

Thank you for your great article. I also must say that your layout is a pleasure to view. Keep up the good work.

Three legends off to Cooperstown