Aug 16, 2009, 9:33 AM EDT
It doesn’t mean that it’s crazy, because this is baseball. The ball’s
not bouncing the right way. Last year, it bounced the right way every
– With Brad Lidge’s latest implosion against the Braves on Saturday,
he became the fifth player since 1954 to have a loss, blown save and
two errors in one game. Wow. By the way, if you are into crazy
statistics like this, follow STATS LLC on Twitter.
“I sent him a
letter over there to tell him best wishes, get well soon and I hope to
see him back out there. I just wanted to go up there and see for myself
if he was doing OK or if I could hear anything about him talking or
just to show that I care about people. You don’t want to see that
happen to anyone. It was just unfortunate.”
– Rusty Ryal after a line drive off his bat hit Hiroki Kuroda in the head on Saturday night. Fortunately, Kuroda never lost consciousness and a CT scan came back negative.
“With 48 hours to go, I simply have no idea whether we’re going to be able to reach a deal.”
– Nationals president Stan Kasten as the clock continues to tick with No. 1 pick Stephen Strasburg.
“I have two things, try and get hitters out and make a good throw. The
rest is out of my hands. That’s some of the best throws I can make.
They might not be good enough.”
– Jason Varitek, after the Rangers ran roughshod over him for eight stolen bases on Saturday night.
The Red Sox have allowed 118 steals this season by far the most in the
majors — the White Sox are second with 101 allowed. David Pinto of Baseball Musings has a pretty good argument why this might not matter.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)