Aug 17, 2009, 10:25 AM EDT
It seems like a lot more attention has been paid to the blow to David Wright’s head than Hiroki Kuroda’s, but at least Wright had a helmet. Kuroda:
“It happened so fast that I didn’t have any time to be scared,” the right-hander said through an interpreter. But after falling to the ground, “I was kind of scared about what was going to happen next.”
So was his wife, Masayo, who was watching the game from their Los Angeles home.
“She thought I died,” Kuroda said . . . “I have a minor headache and when I stand up I feel a little bit dizzy sometimes,” Kuroda said. “They basically told me to rest. I just feel lucky to be alive and [to] go out on the mound next time.”
Given what happened to Ryan Church last year, I’d feel much better about the world if neither Wright nor Kuroda played again this year. There are some things more important than baseball, and there is nothing more scary than a head injury.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (85)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (76)