Jeff Francoeur continues to be Jeff Francoeur

Aug 17, 2009, 8:20 AM EDT

I’m not sure what’s more pathetic: the fact that the Atlanta news paper keeps running stories about Jeff Francoeur, or the fact that Braves fans like me keep reading them.  Anyway, there was another one over the weekend, and Jeffy unleashed a couple of Jeffy-gems:

Q: Things must be going well on the field, eh?

A: I feel great at the plate.

It’s true! He’s actually average since the trade as opposed to unspeakably awful!

Q: Were you coachable?

A: Shoot, I was willing to try about anything. Ask anybody. Still, someone up
here asked me about patience. I’m like, “Listen, I’m not going to go up
there and walk 70 times a year. So you can either accept me for the player I
am or go get somebody else.”

So the answer is no, you’re not coachable. Please, Mr. Francoeur, try to keep your answers precise.

Q: Do you think the Mets want you to be any different?

A: No, they’re not there for my on-base percentage. It was great to hear
[manager] Jerry Manuel in a team meeting say, “I don’t care about average. I
care about scoring runs, driving in runs and preventing runs.” That’s the
type of guy I am.

Because studies have shown that on-base percentage has nothing to do with scoring runs.

Q: What do you make of criticism that you couldn’t adjust?

A: I’m 25 years old. I came up so early. Most guys don’t get to the big
leagues until they’re 24, 25. I have made a little bit of adjustment on my
swing lately. I’ve spread out a little bit. I’ve gotten a lot of good advice
from Mac [Brian McCann]. Catching me, he was able to see some things.

Q: What did he say?

A: He talked about how I need to get back to what I used to do and that’s
attacking the fastball. If I swing at the slider low and away, so be it,
don’t let that fastball beat you.

God, I love Brian McCann. He tells a division rival that he needs to do more of that which is his greatest weakness (i.e. go after everything aggressively, even if it means chasing garbage) and the moron does it.  That’s why he’s my favorite Brave.

Oh well, we could shoot Francoeur fish in this particular barrel all day, but I do have a life to get to.

1. John Pileggi - Aug 17, 2009 at 9:13 AM

Must be a slow summer newsday.

2. Matt Casey - Aug 17, 2009 at 9:32 AM

Q: Do you think the Mets want you to be any different?
    A: No, they’re not there for my on-base percentage. It was great to hear [manager] Jerry Manuel in a team meeting say, “I don’t care about average. I care about scoring runs, driving in runs and preventing runs.” That’s the type of guy I am
    Ah, so this is why Omar loves Jerry so much. Shoot me.

3. Doug - Aug 17, 2009 at 10:28 AM

The Mets gave up nothing to get him. In 32 games he is producing better than his career avg in almost all categories. His Mets avg, hr, rbi, slugging, ops are all above career avg. His hr and rbi’s projected over 162 games are 25 hr and 106 rbi. This is not bad production for a fill in player they traded little to acquire.

4. Doug S - Aug 17, 2009 at 10:38 AM

5. Kevin - Aug 17, 2009 at 12:50 PM

“The Mets gave up nothing to get him.”
    I think they overpaid.

6. Doug S - Aug 17, 2009 at 2:02 PM

It’s clear there is plenty of hate for Francoeur.
    Nonetheless his stats in 32 games with the Mets exceed his career averages. I understand why Braves fans are disillusioned with him.
    But he is hitting .293 with 21 rbis in 32 games. That is not bad production. He was never going to be Pujols. It is just absurd not to recognize that all of his stats with the Mets are ABOVE HIS CAREER AVERAGES. Deal with it.

7. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Aug 17, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Hi, I’m small sample size. Have we met?

8. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Aug 17, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Hi, I’m small sample size. Have we met?

9. Church of the Douchebags With Nothing To Say - Aug 17, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Blog trolls with small penis size. Yes we have met on every blog.

10. Kevin - Aug 17, 2009 at 4:13 PM

Yes, clearly we should weight those 32 games much more heavily than the 631 he played with Atlanta…..

11. JL - Aug 17, 2009 at 7:58 PM

The only reason his “above-average” performance with the Mets is even worth noting is because he set the bar so low to begin with.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS