Aug 17, 2009, 11:01 AM EDT
There’s a school of thought out there that says when you listen to SI’s Jon Heyman, you’re really listening to Scott Boras, who whispers all of his sweet nothings into Heyman’s ear. This line of thinking was put to print in Rich Lederer’s piece over at Baseball Analysts last February, in which Rich took a fine-toothed comb to a bunch of Heyman’s writings about Boras clients and found what he believed to be a high degree of curious prescience about them.
I’m not sure if Rich’s charges aginst Heyman are true — some very bright people in the know have told me that Lederer has overstated the Boras-Heyman connection — but I’ve made light of it all the same, going so far as to call Heyman “Lord Haw Haw” (after the infamous WWII propogandist) from time to time. Why? Not because of any malice towards Heyman, really, but mostly because it’s fun to think of him waiting around for Boras to call. I guess I want it to be true more than I believe it to be true.
Whatever you think, we now have a new data point with which to test the theory: Jon Heyman is tweeting this morning that “i’ll be surprised if stephen strasburg is a washington national by the midnight deadline tonight.”
Just speculation? Informed speculation? I guess we’ll have a better idea around midnight.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)