Aug 17, 2009, 11:01 AM EDT
There’s a school of thought out there that says when you listen to SI’s Jon Heyman, you’re really listening to Scott Boras, who whispers all of his sweet nothings into Heyman’s ear. This line of thinking was put to print in Rich Lederer’s piece over at Baseball Analysts last February, in which Rich took a fine-toothed comb to a bunch of Heyman’s writings about Boras clients and found what he believed to be a high degree of curious prescience about them.
I’m not sure if Rich’s charges aginst Heyman are true — some very bright people in the know have told me that Lederer has overstated the Boras-Heyman connection — but I’ve made light of it all the same, going so far as to call Heyman “Lord Haw Haw” (after the infamous WWII propogandist) from time to time. Why? Not because of any malice towards Heyman, really, but mostly because it’s fun to think of him waiting around for Boras to call. I guess I want it to be true more than I believe it to be true.
Whatever you think, we now have a new data point with which to test the theory: Jon Heyman is tweeting this morning that “i’ll be surprised if stephen strasburg is a washington national by the midnight deadline tonight.”
Just speculation? Informed speculation? I guess we’ll have a better idea around midnight.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 36
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 31
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 211
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 42
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (211)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)