Aug 17, 2009, 11:01 AM EST
There’s a school of thought out there that says when you listen to SI’s Jon Heyman, you’re really listening to Scott Boras, who whispers all of his sweet nothings into Heyman’s ear. This line of thinking was put to print in Rich Lederer’s piece over at Baseball Analysts last February, in which Rich took a fine-toothed comb to a bunch of Heyman’s writings about Boras clients and found what he believed to be a high degree of curious prescience about them.
I’m not sure if Rich’s charges aginst Heyman are true — some very bright people in the know have told me that Lederer has overstated the Boras-Heyman connection — but I’ve made light of it all the same, going so far as to call Heyman “Lord Haw Haw” (after the infamous WWII propogandist) from time to time. Why? Not because of any malice towards Heyman, really, but mostly because it’s fun to think of him waiting around for Boras to call. I guess I want it to be true more than I believe it to be true.
Whatever you think, we now have a new data point with which to test the theory: Jon Heyman is tweeting this morning that “i’ll be surprised if stephen strasburg is a washington national by the midnight deadline tonight.”
Just speculation? Informed speculation? I guess we’ll have a better idea around midnight.
- David Ortiz and Robinson Cano give their Super Bowl XLIX predictions 6
- Zack Greinke hasn’t made decision about opt-out 8
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 20
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 106
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (106)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (74)