Aug 17, 2009, 12:51 PM EDT
* Seattle still has 44 games left to play, but the Mariners have already tied last season’s win total. First-year general manager Jack Zduriencik deserves a lot of credit for how quickly he cleaned house and turned things around with a very different approach than the old regime.
* On a related note, when it comes to Yuniesky Betancourt’s horrible glove Joe Posnanski’s eyes agree with all the advanced defensive metrics. Royals general manager Dayton Moore has made it clear that he doesn’t pay any attention to the stats, but surely he has use of his senses, right?
* Maybe now Yankees fans will finally start to admit that Derek Jeter might be better than Luis Aparicio.
* One of my favorite newspaper beat writers, Sam Mellinger of the Kansas City Star, notes that Joe Mauer is currently leading all three categories for the “sabermetric triple crown.” Mauer has been the best all-around player in the AL this season, yet has almost zero chance to win the MVP.
* Remember a few months ago, when everyone thought that the Rangers had too much catching depth? Not so much.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 6
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 24
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 57
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 55
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 18
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)