Aug 17, 2009, 12:51 PM EDT
* Seattle still has 44 games left to play, but the Mariners have already tied last season’s win total. First-year general manager Jack Zduriencik deserves a lot of credit for how quickly he cleaned house and turned things around with a very different approach than the old regime.
* On a related note, when it comes to Yuniesky Betancourt’s horrible glove Joe Posnanski’s eyes agree with all the advanced defensive metrics. Royals general manager Dayton Moore has made it clear that he doesn’t pay any attention to the stats, but surely he has use of his senses, right?
* Maybe now Yankees fans will finally start to admit that Derek Jeter might be better than Luis Aparicio.
* One of my favorite newspaper beat writers, Sam Mellinger of the Kansas City Star, notes that Joe Mauer is currently leading all three categories for the “sabermetric triple crown.” Mauer has been the best all-around player in the AL this season, yet has almost zero chance to win the MVP.
* Remember a few months ago, when everyone thought that the Rangers had too much catching depth? Not so much.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 21
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)