Aug 17, 2009, 3:01 PM EDT
Randy Wolf picked up a win with 7.2 innings of three-run ball yesterday and also provided his own run support by going 3-for-4 with a homer, a double, and three RBIs at the plate. In doing so he becomes just the 11th pitcher since 1954 to have a win with at least one homer, one double, one single, and three RBIs in the same game.
The others: Don Newcombe, Ken Brett, Micah Owings, Dontrelle Willis, Scott Terry, Walt Terrell, Milt Pappas, Clause Osteen, Blue Moon Odom, Johnny Antonelli. That’s quite an eclectic list, and Newcombe actually accomplished the feat in 1955 and 1959. Not surprisingly he’s one of the best-hitting pitchers of all time, batting .271 with 15 homers in 878 career at-bats.
Newcombe was a pretty decent pitcher too, going 27-7 with a 3.06 ERA in 1956 to win both the Cy Young and MVP awards. Oh, and like Wolf he played for the Dodgers. Meanwhile, even yesterday’s big effort leaves Wolf with a modest 7-6 record on the mound this season despite a strong 3.43 ERA and boosts his career batting average to just .185, although he does have five homers in 488 at-bats.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 14
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)