Aug 17, 2009, 3:01 PM EDT
Randy Wolf picked up a win with 7.2 innings of three-run ball yesterday and also provided his own run support by going 3-for-4 with a homer, a double, and three RBIs at the plate. In doing so he becomes just the 11th pitcher since 1954 to have a win with at least one homer, one double, one single, and three RBIs in the same game.
The others: Don Newcombe, Ken Brett, Micah Owings, Dontrelle Willis, Scott Terry, Walt Terrell, Milt Pappas, Clause Osteen, Blue Moon Odom, Johnny Antonelli. That’s quite an eclectic list, and Newcombe actually accomplished the feat in 1955 and 1959. Not surprisingly he’s one of the best-hitting pitchers of all time, batting .271 with 15 homers in 878 career at-bats.
Newcombe was a pretty decent pitcher too, going 27-7 with a 3.06 ERA in 1956 to win both the Cy Young and MVP awards. Oh, and like Wolf he played for the Dodgers. Meanwhile, even yesterday’s big effort leaves Wolf with a modest 7-6 record on the mound this season despite a strong 3.43 ERA and boosts his career batting average to just .185, although he does have five homers in 488 at-bats.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 77
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 72
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (77)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (73)