Aug 17, 2009, 11:55 AM EDT
With the midnight deadline to sign draft picks looming the focus has obviously been on No. 1 overall pick and “greatest college pitcher since [fill in the blank]” Stephen Strasburg, but there also are a ton of other first rounders still unsigned. Here’s the complete list, as of noon today:
1. Stephen Strasburg RHP Nationals 2. Dustin Ackley OF Mariners 3. Donavan Tate OF Padres 6. Zach Wheeler RHP Giants 9. Jacob Turner RHP Tigers 11. Tyler Matzek LHP Rockies 12. Aaron Crow RHP Royals 13. Grant Green SS A's 14. Matt Purke LHP Rangers 15. Alex White RHP Indians 19. Shelby Miller RHP Cardinals 22. Kyle Gibson RHP Twins 30. Levon Washington OF Rays
Everyone expected Strasburg and agent Scott Boras to drag things out until the last second, but with about 12 hours remaining until the deadline each of the top three picks and 13 of the first 30 picks are still unsigned. There are also plenty of prominent non-first rounders still negotiating, including Tanner Scheppers, who dropped to the Rangers at No. 44 after not signing last year.
There are last-minute signings every year, but it seems like there’s more uncertainty than ever on this deadline day, perhaps because teams are able to take a hard-line (or harder-line, at least) stance while knowing that not signing a first rounder will result in receiving a compensatory pick one slot down next June. In other words, the worst-case scenario no longer involves being left empty handed.
For the latest updates on all the signings, check out Rotoworld’s player news page and Baseball America‘s draft blog.
- Wrigley Field — the most human park in baseball — turns 100-years-old 6
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 55
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 39
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 48
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 105