Aug 18, 2009, 3:23 AM EDT
Not sure how many people believed it would happen, but Stephen Strasburg has indeed agreed to sign with the Nationals.
While you’re contemplating how good he will be, here is a look at the numbers …
$15.1 million: The amount (not including incentives) the Nationals will pay Strasburg in his four-year contract. That’s about $5 million more than the previous record, as Mark Prior received $10.5 million in 2001.
11:58:43 p.m.: The time when the sides agreed to the deal, according to Nationals president Stan Kasten. The deadline was 12:01 a.m.
195: Number of strikeouts Strasburg compiled last season at San Diego State. They came in 109 innings, with a 1.32 ERA.
102: The number, in miles-per-hour, that Strasburg can throw his fastball. Also the number of losses the Nationals suffered in 2008.
103: The number of losses the Nats are on pace to compile in 2009. Can they get him in uniform fast enough?
2010: The year Bryce “The Chosen One” Harper goes No. 1 in the draft. Wondering if the Nats can afford both of these guys?
If you Twitter, and you can hit 102 mph on the radar gun, feel free to follow me at @Bharks.
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 0
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 15
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 13
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)