Aug 18, 2009, 3:23 AM EDT
Not sure how many people believed it would happen, but Stephen Strasburg has indeed agreed to sign with the Nationals.
While you’re contemplating how good he will be, here is a look at the numbers …
$15.1 million: The amount (not including incentives) the Nationals will pay Strasburg in his four-year contract. That’s about $5 million more than the previous record, as Mark Prior received $10.5 million in 2001.
11:58:43 p.m.: The time when the sides agreed to the deal, according to Nationals president Stan Kasten. The deadline was 12:01 a.m.
195: Number of strikeouts Strasburg compiled last season at San Diego State. They came in 109 innings, with a 1.32 ERA.
102: The number, in miles-per-hour, that Strasburg can throw his fastball. Also the number of losses the Nationals suffered in 2008.
103: The number of losses the Nats are on pace to compile in 2009. Can they get him in uniform fast enough?
2010: The year Bryce “The Chosen One” Harper goes No. 1 in the draft. Wondering if the Nats can afford both of these guys?
If you Twitter, and you can hit 102 mph on the radar gun, feel free to follow me at @Bharks.
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 8
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 38
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 52
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires