Aug 18, 2009, 3:23 AM EST
Not sure how many people believed it would happen, but Stephen Strasburg has indeed agreed to sign with the Nationals.
While you’re contemplating how good he will be, here is a look at the numbers …
$15.1 million: The amount (not including incentives) the Nationals will pay Strasburg in his four-year contract. That’s about $5 million more than the previous record, as Mark Prior received $10.5 million in 2001.
11:58:43 p.m.: The time when the sides agreed to the deal, according to Nationals president Stan Kasten. The deadline was 12:01 a.m.
195: Number of strikeouts Strasburg compiled last season at San Diego State. They came in 109 innings, with a 1.32 ERA.
102: The number, in miles-per-hour, that Strasburg can throw his fastball. Also the number of losses the Nationals suffered in 2008.
103: The number of losses the Nats are on pace to compile in 2009. Can they get him in uniform fast enough?
2010: The year Bryce “The Chosen One” Harper goes No. 1 in the draft. Wondering if the Nats can afford both of these guys?
If you Twitter, and you can hit 102 mph on the radar gun, feel free to follow me at @Bharks.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (272)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)