Aug 18, 2009, 4:51 PM EDT
- Josh Beckett can become the first major leaguer to 15 wins this year by beating Toronto and Ricky Romero tonight. He’s gone at least seven innings in six straight starts, allowing nine runs in the process. His ERA, which stood at 7.22 at the end of April, is now 3.10, the sixth-best mark in the AL, and he ranks third in WHIP and fifth in strikeouts. This will be his first start against the Jays in 2009. He went 0-2 with a 16.71 ERA in his two starts against the club last year.
– Pedro Martinez got a ton of support to beat the Cubs last week in his return to the majors. His second start will come against the Diamondbacks, a team he’s dominated in five career starts (3-1, 1.36 ERA). The opponent is also worth watching. Jon Garland, who still might find himself on a contender later this month, has gone at least six innings in 14 straight starts and allowed no more than three earned runs in eight of the last nine.
– Freddy Garcia will make his first major league start this year against the surging Royals, winners of three of their last seven games. Garcia, who has been robbed of velocity by shoulder problems, had a 1.80 ERA and a 19/1 K/BB ratio in 20 innings in the minors for the White Sox. In his lone Triple-A start, he gave up eight hits, walked none and struck out nine in six innings. If his command remains so strong in the majors, perhaps he’ll be able to hold his own for the White Sox. Little more can be expected.
Game of the Night
Seattle vs. Detroit – 23-year-old Felix Hernandez and 20-year-old Rick Porcello will duel for the first time tonight. King Felix, coming off his second 10-strikeout game of the year and first against an AL team since April 27, 2008, will be trying to improve to 13-4. He’s beaten Detroit twice this year to improve to 5-2 with a 2.91 ERA lifetime against the club. Porcello pitched just one-plus innings in his last start after Kevin Youkilis made his own contribution towards keeping the youngster’s workload in check. Two of his 10 wins this year have come against the Mariners.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 29
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)