Aug 19, 2009, 12:01 PM EDT
* If you’ve ever wanted to see a 6-foot-6, 300-pound man hit a baseball 400 feet and then sprint 360 feet in 15 seconds, make sure to check out footage of Kyle Blanks from last night. One night after blasting a walk-off homer against the Cubs, Blanks hit the first inside-the-park homer in Petco Park history, complete with a head-first dive into home plate.
He’s now batting .252/.357/.496 with eight homers and nine doubles in 47 games despite calling the majors’ most pitcher-friendly ballpark home and has also drawn good reviews for his outfield defense after playing first base in the minors prior to his call-up, all of which is pretty awesome for a 22-year-old.
* Jake Peavy is now scheduled to make at least two more minor-league rehab starts before joining the White Sox’s rotation.
* Ivan Rodriguez’s second stint with the Rangers will begin today when he catches Kevin Millwood.
* Joe Maddon has added to his trademark hipster glasses by dying his hair black, which means that earrings, Ed Hardy t-shirts, and a tribal tattoo could be next for the 55-year-old Rays manager.
* Matt Keough made an All-Star team, pitched in the playoffs, and won 58 games in the majors, yet when TMZ.com reports on his recent DUI arrest he’s merely “Matt Keough of The Real Housewives of Orange County.”
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)