Aug 19, 2009, 12:01 PM EDT
* If you’ve ever wanted to see a 6-foot-6, 300-pound man hit a baseball 400 feet and then sprint 360 feet in 15 seconds, make sure to check out footage of Kyle Blanks from last night. One night after blasting a walk-off homer against the Cubs, Blanks hit the first inside-the-park homer in Petco Park history, complete with a head-first dive into home plate.
He’s now batting .252/.357/.496 with eight homers and nine doubles in 47 games despite calling the majors’ most pitcher-friendly ballpark home and has also drawn good reviews for his outfield defense after playing first base in the minors prior to his call-up, all of which is pretty awesome for a 22-year-old.
* Jake Peavy is now scheduled to make at least two more minor-league rehab starts before joining the White Sox’s rotation.
* Ivan Rodriguez’s second stint with the Rangers will begin today when he catches Kevin Millwood.
* Joe Maddon has added to his trademark hipster glasses by dying his hair black, which means that earrings, Ed Hardy t-shirts, and a tribal tattoo could be next for the 55-year-old Rays manager.
* Matt Keough made an All-Star team, pitched in the playoffs, and won 58 games in the majors, yet when TMZ.com reports on his recent DUI arrest he’s merely “Matt Keough of The Real Housewives of Orange County.”
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 0
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 13
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 46
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)