Aug 19, 2009, 12:01 PM EST
* If you’ve ever wanted to see a 6-foot-6, 300-pound man hit a baseball 400 feet and then sprint 360 feet in 15 seconds, make sure to check out footage of Kyle Blanks from last night. One night after blasting a walk-off homer against the Cubs, Blanks hit the first inside-the-park homer in Petco Park history, complete with a head-first dive into home plate.
He’s now batting .252/.357/.496 with eight homers and nine doubles in 47 games despite calling the majors’ most pitcher-friendly ballpark home and has also drawn good reviews for his outfield defense after playing first base in the minors prior to his call-up, all of which is pretty awesome for a 22-year-old.
* Jake Peavy is now scheduled to make at least two more minor-league rehab starts before joining the White Sox’s rotation.
* Ivan Rodriguez’s second stint with the Rangers will begin today when he catches Kevin Millwood.
* Joe Maddon has added to his trademark hipster glasses by dying his hair black, which means that earrings, Ed Hardy t-shirts, and a tribal tattoo could be next for the 55-year-old Rays manager.
* Matt Keough made an All-Star team, pitched in the playoffs, and won 58 games in the majors, yet when TMZ.com reports on his recent DUI arrest he’s merely “Matt Keough of The Real Housewives of Orange County.”
- Report: Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from the Athletics 0
- The Matt Kemp trade is expected to go down as planned 0
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 73
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)