Aug 19, 2009, 5:28 PM EDT
- Roy Halladay will face a patient Boston lineup having pitched 50 innings over his past six starts. Included in that run is a complete-game victory over the Red Sox in which he gave up just one run. Halladay is just 13-12 with a 4.33 ERA lifetime against the Red Sox, but he has handled them well over the last two years, going 4-2 with a 2.27 ERA and three complete games in six starts. The Red Sox will throw Clay Buchholz as they aim for a second straight win in Toronto.
– Dan Haren, the NL’s ERA leader for the first half of the season, will match up against the red-hot Cliff Lee as the Diamondbacks and Phillies continue a three-game series. Haren bounced back from a subpar four-start run to limit the Dodgers to one run over eight innings in a win last week. Lee, on the other hand, has won six straight starts, allowing just seven runs in the process. He’s 3-0 with a 1.13 ERA since joining the Phillies.
Game of the Night
St. Louis vs. Los Angeles – Two of the game’s hottest pitchers will square off in Los Angeles, as Adam Wainwright and Clayton Kershaw are set to duel. Wainwright leads the NL with 14 wins and hasn’t given up more than two earned runs in a start in two months. Since the beginning of July, he has a 1.21 ERA in nine outings. Without working as deep into games, Kershaw has been just about as outstanding, amassing a 1.50 ERA in his last 12 starts. However, the Dodgers have lost each of his last five starts and Kershaw hasn’t been sharp in two of his three starts this month. Even if he’s at his best tonight, it’s no guarantee of a win. He pitched eight scoreless innings against the Cardinals on July 29 and ended up with a no-decision when St. Louis came back to win 3-2.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 21
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 142
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)