Aug 20, 2009, 8:50 AM EST
We saw this one coming, but Billy Wagner has been placed on waivers by the Mets. He’ll almost certainly go unclaimed, what with any claiming club being on the hook for $3.6 million or so.
I can’t see entrusting late inning leads to a guy so soon after coming off of Tommy John surgery, but the Cubs are pretty desperate for a closer right now and I could see them biting. Anyone else would probably be using him simply for bullpen depth.
- Report: Rockies nearing a multi-year deal with Boone Logan 0
- Highlights from the Robinson Cano news conference 24
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 31
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 40
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 63
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (131)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)