Aug 20, 2009, 8:50 AM EST
We saw this one coming, but Billy Wagner has been placed on waivers by the Mets. He’ll almost certainly go unclaimed, what with any claiming club being on the hook for $3.6 million or so.
I can’t see entrusting late inning leads to a guy so soon after coming off of Tommy John surgery, but the Cubs are pretty desperate for a closer right now and I could see them biting. Anyone else would probably be using him simply for bullpen depth.
- Zack Greinke hasn’t made decision about opt-out 5
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 19
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (105)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)