Aug 20, 2009, 8:50 AM EDT
We saw this one coming, but Billy Wagner has been placed on waivers by the Mets. He’ll almost certainly go unclaimed, what with any claiming club being on the hook for $3.6 million or so.
I can’t see entrusting late inning leads to a guy so soon after coming off of Tommy John surgery, but the Cubs are pretty desperate for a closer right now and I could see them biting. Anyone else would probably be using him simply for bullpen depth.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 41
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- Shin-Soo Choo to undergo season-ending bone spur surgery on elbow 13
- Bartolo Colon and Scott Feldman clear revocable waivers; eligible to be traded to any team 22
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (143)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)