Aug 20, 2009, 10:53 AM EDT
Matthew tore Dayton Moore and the Royals a new one the other day following their optioning of Alex Gordon to Omaha. Yesterday, Moore defended himself, claiming that he had no choice but to demote Gordon, because the Royals wanted to keep a thirteen-man pitching staff, and even if they didn’t, the only pitcher that has options left is Joakim Soria. As such, they’d have to designate one of their relievers for assignment in order to make room for Kyle Farnsworth.
Hey, if that’s his story, good for him, but (a) any team keeping a thirteen-man pitching staff is insane, even if that’s what everyone does these days; and (b) given that Soria is the only guy down there worth a diddly durn, I can’t see why they’d be so hesitant to DFA one of them. John Bale is 35 years old and has an ERA north of 6. Is keeping him around really more important than letting Alex Gordon get right against major league pitching?
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 14
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)