Aug 20, 2009, 10:53 AM EST
Matthew tore Dayton Moore and the Royals a new one the other day following their optioning of Alex Gordon to Omaha. Yesterday, Moore defended himself, claiming that he had no choice but to demote Gordon, because the Royals wanted to keep a thirteen-man pitching staff, and even if they didn’t, the only pitcher that has options left is Joakim Soria. As such, they’d have to designate one of their relievers for assignment in order to make room for Kyle Farnsworth.
Hey, if that’s his story, good for him, but (a) any team keeping a thirteen-man pitching staff is insane, even if that’s what everyone does these days; and (b) given that Soria is the only guy down there worth a diddly durn, I can’t see why they’d be so hesitant to DFA one of them. John Bale is 35 years old and has an ERA north of 6. Is keeping him around really more important than letting Alex Gordon get right against major league pitching?
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 37
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 34
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 163
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (163)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (78)