Aug 20, 2009, 10:53 AM EDT
Matthew tore Dayton Moore and the Royals a new one the other day following their optioning of Alex Gordon to Omaha. Yesterday, Moore defended himself, claiming that he had no choice but to demote Gordon, because the Royals wanted to keep a thirteen-man pitching staff, and even if they didn’t, the only pitcher that has options left is Joakim Soria. As such, they’d have to designate one of their relievers for assignment in order to make room for Kyle Farnsworth.
Hey, if that’s his story, good for him, but (a) any team keeping a thirteen-man pitching staff is insane, even if that’s what everyone does these days; and (b) given that Soria is the only guy down there worth a diddly durn, I can’t see why they’d be so hesitant to DFA one of them. John Bale is 35 years old and has an ERA north of 6. Is keeping him around really more important than letting Alex Gordon get right against major league pitching?
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 20
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 15
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 76
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 52
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (280)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (77)