Aug 20, 2009, 9:52 PM EDT
In the wake of Stephen Strasburg snagging a record $15 million contract from the Washington Nationals, there has been a lot of talk lately of what is wrong with the draft, and how it should be fixed.
One particularly interesting idea, however, comes from Dave Cameron over at Fangraphs.
His plan? Abolish the draft completely.
Instead of including international players in the draft, as Selig would like to do, Cameron would make everyone a free agent. On the surface, that sounds like insanity (how would the Royals ever beat out the Yankees for a star player?), but in Cameron’s proposal, money from revenue sharing (roughly $200 million this season) would be allocated for amateur signings. The money would be divvied up on a graduated scale based on where the teams placed in the standings.
For example, the top five teams would only be allowed to spend $2 million each on amateurs, while the bottom five would be given $12 million apiece.
The top tier teams who have been winning recently would receive small sums of money that would essentially take them out of the running for the premium talents. Given that the teams that finished in the bottom half would likely be willing to bid ~60-70% of their budgets on the top guys available, the Strasburgs of the world would probably command bonuses in the $7 or $8 million range, which the winning teams would not be able to match.
Pretty interesting idea. Give each team a budget, with the bad teams having more money to spend than the good teams. In turn, you hold down the bonus money given to unproven amateurs, and you create and even playing field for high school, college and foreign kids.
Just might be crazy enough to work.
If you Twitter, and feel like burning your draft card, you can follow me at @Bharks.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 5
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (250)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)