Aug 20, 2009, 8:20 AM EDT
Despite speculation that spread throughout baseball circles that the
Washington Nationals were planning to make a front-office change,
interim general manager Mike Rizzo has been given the job on a
Published reports out of Washington on Wednesday night say that the
club will announce Rizzo’s appointment at a news conference Thursday,
putting to rest the assertion by multiple baseball executives that
Arizona Diamondbacks vice president Jerry DiPoto was on the verge of
getting the job.
No mention of the fact that the speculation and public reports came from . . . Gordon Edes!
Whatever the case, I think this is a good move for the Nats, because Rizzo has really earned the job. Jim Bowden left a gigantic mess behind, and Rizzo has done much to clean that up, all while doing much to fix the fabulously ill-conceived roster Bowden had put together. No, this isn’t a good team yet, but at least now there’s a path forward, and the Nats have Rizzo to thank for it.
And a note to Yahoo!: please don’t put Edes on the elections beat.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 5
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 33
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 9
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 71
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 52
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)