Aug 20, 2009, 8:20 AM EDT
Despite speculation that spread throughout baseball circles that the
Washington Nationals were planning to make a front-office change,
interim general manager Mike Rizzo has been given the job on a
Published reports out of Washington on Wednesday night say that the
club will announce Rizzo’s appointment at a news conference Thursday,
putting to rest the assertion by multiple baseball executives that
Arizona Diamondbacks vice president Jerry DiPoto was on the verge of
getting the job.
No mention of the fact that the speculation and public reports came from . . . Gordon Edes!
Whatever the case, I think this is a good move for the Nats, because Rizzo has really earned the job. Jim Bowden left a gigantic mess behind, and Rizzo has done much to clean that up, all while doing much to fix the fabulously ill-conceived roster Bowden had put together. No, this isn’t a good team yet, but at least now there’s a path forward, and the Nats have Rizzo to thank for it.
And a note to Yahoo!: please don’t put Edes on the elections beat.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 3
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 26
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)