Aug 20, 2009, 8:20 AM EST
Despite speculation that spread throughout baseball circles that the
Washington Nationals were planning to make a front-office change,
interim general manager Mike Rizzo has been given the job on a
Published reports out of Washington on Wednesday night say that the
club will announce Rizzo’s appointment at a news conference Thursday,
putting to rest the assertion by multiple baseball executives that
Arizona Diamondbacks vice president Jerry DiPoto was on the verge of
getting the job.
No mention of the fact that the speculation and public reports came from . . . Gordon Edes!
Whatever the case, I think this is a good move for the Nats, because Rizzo has really earned the job. Jim Bowden left a gigantic mess behind, and Rizzo has done much to clean that up, all while doing much to fix the fabulously ill-conceived roster Bowden had put together. No, this isn’t a good team yet, but at least now there’s a path forward, and the Nats have Rizzo to thank for it.
And a note to Yahoo!: please don’t put Edes on the elections beat.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)