Aug 20, 2009, 8:20 AM EDT
Despite speculation that spread throughout baseball circles that the
Washington Nationals were planning to make a front-office change,
interim general manager Mike Rizzo has been given the job on a
Published reports out of Washington on Wednesday night say that the
club will announce Rizzo’s appointment at a news conference Thursday,
putting to rest the assertion by multiple baseball executives that
Arizona Diamondbacks vice president Jerry DiPoto was on the verge of
getting the job.
No mention of the fact that the speculation and public reports came from . . . Gordon Edes!
Whatever the case, I think this is a good move for the Nats, because Rizzo has really earned the job. Jim Bowden left a gigantic mess behind, and Rizzo has done much to clean that up, all while doing much to fix the fabulously ill-conceived roster Bowden had put together. No, this isn’t a good team yet, but at least now there’s a path forward, and the Nats have Rizzo to thank for it.
And a note to Yahoo!: please don’t put Edes on the elections beat.
- Mike Trout hits for cycle in Angels’ rout of Mariners 13
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 4
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 22
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 116
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (104)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car