Aug 20, 2009, 8:20 AM EDT
Despite speculation that spread throughout baseball circles that the
Washington Nationals were planning to make a front-office change,
interim general manager Mike Rizzo has been given the job on a
Published reports out of Washington on Wednesday night say that the
club will announce Rizzo’s appointment at a news conference Thursday,
putting to rest the assertion by multiple baseball executives that
Arizona Diamondbacks vice president Jerry DiPoto was on the verge of
getting the job.
No mention of the fact that the speculation and public reports came from . . . Gordon Edes!
Whatever the case, I think this is a good move for the Nats, because Rizzo has really earned the job. Jim Bowden left a gigantic mess behind, and Rizzo has done much to clean that up, all while doing much to fix the fabulously ill-conceived roster Bowden had put together. No, this isn’t a good team yet, but at least now there’s a path forward, and the Nats have Rizzo to thank for it.
And a note to Yahoo!: please don’t put Edes on the elections beat.
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 1
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 36
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 26
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 60
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)