Aug 20, 2009, 11:50 AM EDT
* After meeting with manager Joe Girardi and pitching coach Dave Eiland to discuss his workload, Joba Chamberlain is scheduled to make six more starts this season. Chamberlain has averaged 5.5 innings per start so far, and if that continues he’ll end up throwing 160 innings spread over 29 starts after logging 100 innings between the rotation and bullpen last season.
* Ichiro Suzuki needs just 19 hits during the Mariners’ final 42 games to become the first player in baseball history with nine consecutive 200-hit seasons. He’s currently tied with Wee Willie Keeler, who also had eight straight 200-hit campaigns from 1894 to 1901. Pete Rose is the all-time leader with ten 200-hit seasons, although he never had more than three in a row.
* Jon Garland has cleared waivers, so contenders looking for some back-of-the-rotation help are free to deal for him. However, he’s still owed about $2 million this season and comes along with a $10 million team option or $2.5 million buyout for 2010, which is a hefty price tag for someone with a 6-11 record, 4.42 ERA, and 74/50 K/BB ratio in 154.2 innings.
* Joey Votto is back in the Reds’ lineup today after leaving yesterday’s game in the first inning with blurred vision.
* Beloved broadcaster Jerry Remy will return to the Red Sox’s television booth Friday after being treated for both cancer and depression.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)