Aug 20, 2009, 11:50 AM EDT
* After meeting with manager Joe Girardi and pitching coach Dave Eiland to discuss his workload, Joba Chamberlain is scheduled to make six more starts this season. Chamberlain has averaged 5.5 innings per start so far, and if that continues he’ll end up throwing 160 innings spread over 29 starts after logging 100 innings between the rotation and bullpen last season.
* Ichiro Suzuki needs just 19 hits during the Mariners’ final 42 games to become the first player in baseball history with nine consecutive 200-hit seasons. He’s currently tied with Wee Willie Keeler, who also had eight straight 200-hit campaigns from 1894 to 1901. Pete Rose is the all-time leader with ten 200-hit seasons, although he never had more than three in a row.
* Jon Garland has cleared waivers, so contenders looking for some back-of-the-rotation help are free to deal for him. However, he’s still owed about $2 million this season and comes along with a $10 million team option or $2.5 million buyout for 2010, which is a hefty price tag for someone with a 6-11 record, 4.42 ERA, and 74/50 K/BB ratio in 154.2 innings.
* Joey Votto is back in the Reds’ lineup today after leaving yesterday’s game in the first inning with blurred vision.
* Beloved broadcaster Jerry Remy will return to the Red Sox’s television booth Friday after being treated for both cancer and depression.
- Joey Gallo earns Futures Game MVP honors after leading Team USA to victory 3
- Major League Baseball needs to shift the All-Star week schedule 42
- Braves suspend Dan Uggla one game for being extremely tardy on Saturday in Chicago 33
- Cliff Lee on track to return to Phillies’ rotation July 21 4
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 22
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 8
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (192)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)
- Woman knocked unconscious during fight between A’s and Giants fans outside AT&T Park (84)