Aug 20, 2009, 11:50 AM EDT
* After meeting with manager Joe Girardi and pitching coach Dave Eiland to discuss his workload, Joba Chamberlain is scheduled to make six more starts this season. Chamberlain has averaged 5.5 innings per start so far, and if that continues he’ll end up throwing 160 innings spread over 29 starts after logging 100 innings between the rotation and bullpen last season.
* Ichiro Suzuki needs just 19 hits during the Mariners’ final 42 games to become the first player in baseball history with nine consecutive 200-hit seasons. He’s currently tied with Wee Willie Keeler, who also had eight straight 200-hit campaigns from 1894 to 1901. Pete Rose is the all-time leader with ten 200-hit seasons, although he never had more than three in a row.
* Jon Garland has cleared waivers, so contenders looking for some back-of-the-rotation help are free to deal for him. However, he’s still owed about $2 million this season and comes along with a $10 million team option or $2.5 million buyout for 2010, which is a hefty price tag for someone with a 6-11 record, 4.42 ERA, and 74/50 K/BB ratio in 154.2 innings.
* Joey Votto is back in the Reds’ lineup today after leaving yesterday’s game in the first inning with blurred vision.
* Beloved broadcaster Jerry Remy will return to the Red Sox’s television booth Friday after being treated for both cancer and depression.
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 7
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 44
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 83
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 20
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 68
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (277)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (146)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)