Aug 20, 2009, 3:05 PM EDT
* Washington Post blogger Dan Steinberg put together a nice roundup of stories about just how out of shape Stephen Strasburg was when he first arrived at San Diego State. He weighed 250 pounds, was throwing up 10 minutes into the team’s first workout, had teammates wondering if there was something medically wrong with him, and earned the nickname “Slothburg.” And now just two years later he’s the best pitching prospect in baseball with a deal worth over $15 million. Amazing.
* Speaking of draft picks, the Rays are accused of not attempting to sign first rounder LeVon Washington. Washington’s father explained that the Rays didn’t live up to a pre-draft agreement and never increased their offer from the recommended slot bonus, adding: “I’m convinced that they didn’t want to sign him.” Offering the slot bonus is hardly out of line, but the Rays may have decided that they weren’t all that high on anyone available with at No. 30 and would rather take their chances with a compensation pick one place lower next year.
* Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer writes that Indians manager Eric Wedge avoided giving Matt LaPorta consistent playing time earlier this season because he was “still trying to orchestrate a miracle by getting the Indians back in contention” and “was also trying to save his job.” While that’s no doubt true, the notion that playing one of the better hitting prospects in baseball wouldn’t have helped on both of those fronts is odd to say the least.
* Brandon Phillips exited this afternoon’s game with a sore left wrist, which is where he was plunked by a J.D. Martin fastball over the weekend.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)