Aug 20, 2009, 3:05 PM EST
* Washington Post blogger Dan Steinberg put together a nice roundup of stories about just how out of shape Stephen Strasburg was when he first arrived at San Diego State. He weighed 250 pounds, was throwing up 10 minutes into the team’s first workout, had teammates wondering if there was something medically wrong with him, and earned the nickname “Slothburg.” And now just two years later he’s the best pitching prospect in baseball with a deal worth over $15 million. Amazing.
* Speaking of draft picks, the Rays are accused of not attempting to sign first rounder LeVon Washington. Washington’s father explained that the Rays didn’t live up to a pre-draft agreement and never increased their offer from the recommended slot bonus, adding: “I’m convinced that they didn’t want to sign him.” Offering the slot bonus is hardly out of line, but the Rays may have decided that they weren’t all that high on anyone available with at No. 30 and would rather take their chances with a compensation pick one place lower next year.
* Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer writes that Indians manager Eric Wedge avoided giving Matt LaPorta consistent playing time earlier this season because he was “still trying to orchestrate a miracle by getting the Indians back in contention” and “was also trying to save his job.” While that’s no doubt true, the notion that playing one of the better hitting prospects in baseball wouldn’t have helped on both of those fronts is odd to say the least.
* Brandon Phillips exited this afternoon’s game with a sore left wrist, which is where he was plunked by a J.D. Martin fastball over the weekend.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 104
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 32
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 259
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (259)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (105)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)