Aug 21, 2009, 12:20 PM EDT
The dead body of a 22-year-old illegal immigrant who had crossed the border from Mexico was found yesterday morning on Chipper Jones’ ranch in Texas. Here’s more, from the Atlanta Journal Constitution:
“He was in a part of the ranch we don’t go to on a daily basis,” Jones’ father, Larry Jones Sr. said Thursday evening from Double Dime Ranch in Carrizo Springs, Texas. Jones Sr. said the man, a Mexican national, had entered the country illegally. The extreme heat and the drought would have made it difficult for anyone to survive without food or water, he said. Thursday was the 83rd straight day of temperatures topping at least 100 degrees, Jones said.
The man’s body was discovered around 6:30 a.m. by a ranch foreman. Jones Sr. called police, then left a message for the Braves’ third baseman on his answering machine. … The Jones family has owned the 10,000-acre ranch, located 130 miles southwest of San Antonio, since 2000. “As the crow flies, we’re eight miles from the Rio Grande,” Jones Sr. said. The game ranch is home to 750 heads of steer, as well as various wildlife.
Obviously a sad, unfortunate story. Jones’ ranch is called “The Double Dime” because both Chipper and Larry Sr. wore uniform No. 10. Also, one of my goals in life is to use the phrase “as the crow flies” in context during a conversation. So far, no luck.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)