Aug 21, 2009, 12:20 PM EST
The dead body of a 22-year-old illegal immigrant who had crossed the border from Mexico was found yesterday morning on Chipper Jones’ ranch in Texas. Here’s more, from the Atlanta Journal Constitution:
“He was in a part of the ranch we don’t go to on a daily basis,” Jones’ father, Larry Jones Sr. said Thursday evening from Double Dime Ranch in Carrizo Springs, Texas. Jones Sr. said the man, a Mexican national, had entered the country illegally. The extreme heat and the drought would have made it difficult for anyone to survive without food or water, he said. Thursday was the 83rd straight day of temperatures topping at least 100 degrees, Jones said.
The man’s body was discovered around 6:30 a.m. by a ranch foreman. Jones Sr. called police, then left a message for the Braves’ third baseman on his answering machine. … The Jones family has owned the 10,000-acre ranch, located 130 miles southwest of San Antonio, since 2000. “As the crow flies, we’re eight miles from the Rio Grande,” Jones Sr. said. The game ranch is home to 750 heads of steer, as well as various wildlife.
Obviously a sad, unfortunate story. Jones’ ranch is called “The Double Dime” because both Chipper and Larry Sr. wore uniform No. 10. Also, one of my goals in life is to use the phrase “as the crow flies” in context during a conversation. So far, no luck.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 336
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (337)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)