Aug 21, 2009, 12:20 PM EDT
The dead body of a 22-year-old illegal immigrant who had crossed the border from Mexico was found yesterday morning on Chipper Jones’ ranch in Texas. Here’s more, from the Atlanta Journal Constitution:
“He was in a part of the ranch we don’t go to on a daily basis,” Jones’ father, Larry Jones Sr. said Thursday evening from Double Dime Ranch in Carrizo Springs, Texas. Jones Sr. said the man, a Mexican national, had entered the country illegally. The extreme heat and the drought would have made it difficult for anyone to survive without food or water, he said. Thursday was the 83rd straight day of temperatures topping at least 100 degrees, Jones said.
The man’s body was discovered around 6:30 a.m. by a ranch foreman. Jones Sr. called police, then left a message for the Braves’ third baseman on his answering machine. … The Jones family has owned the 10,000-acre ranch, located 130 miles southwest of San Antonio, since 2000. “As the crow flies, we’re eight miles from the Rio Grande,” Jones Sr. said. The game ranch is home to 750 heads of steer, as well as various wildlife.
Obviously a sad, unfortunate story. Jones’ ranch is called “The Double Dime” because both Chipper and Larry Sr. wore uniform No. 10. Also, one of my goals in life is to use the phrase “as the crow flies” in context during a conversation. So far, no luck.
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 2
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 37
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 131
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 33
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (131)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)