Aug 22, 2009, 10:18 AM EST
“I think that it was plain and simple that we got our asses kicked pretty good.”
- Mike Lowell just about sums up
the 20-11 trouncing the Red Sox experienced at the hand of the Yankees
on Friday night. The Bombers have now won five straight over their
division rivals and sit 7 1/2 games ahead in the American League East.
“He called me in the office, I was in the lineup and he just went over
the whole waiver thing with me because I guess a lot of people in the
media were speculating a lot of different things and he wanted to clear
that up. So I asked him after that, well, if you pull
me back and you’re keeping me from going to a contending team, what’s
my future? And basically I got a maybe, maybe not. And that’s basically
not much of a future.”
- Gary Sheffield explains a conversation he had with general manager Omar Minaya on Thursday. The 40-year-old outfielder denies asking for a contract extension, as reported in various media outlets.
“To me, an ace is not something that floats. It’s career
numbers stuff, to have that dominating pitcher year in and year out.
It’s an overused term.”
- Despite a 2.94 ERA since July, Randy Wolf deflects any talk about him as the staff ace.
He may never be an ace, but he’d be a decent cleanup hitter for the
Dodgers right now. After knocking in three runs with a homer, double
and single against the Diamondbacks on Sunday, Wolf drove in the only
two runs of Friday’s victory over the Cubs.
“I didn’t know I was like that. That would be a first for me.”
- Derek Jeter responds to comments made by Hall of Famer Jim Rice earlier this week.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 65
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 31
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 21
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)