Aug 22, 2009, 10:18 AM EDT
“I think that it was plain and simple that we got our asses kicked pretty good.”
- Mike Lowell just about sums up
the 20-11 trouncing the Red Sox experienced at the hand of the Yankees
on Friday night. The Bombers have now won five straight over their
division rivals and sit 7 1/2 games ahead in the American League East.
“He called me in the office, I was in the lineup and he just went over
the whole waiver thing with me because I guess a lot of people in the
media were speculating a lot of different things and he wanted to clear
that up. So I asked him after that, well, if you pull
me back and you’re keeping me from going to a contending team, what’s
my future? And basically I got a maybe, maybe not. And that’s basically
not much of a future.”
- Gary Sheffield explains a conversation he had with general manager Omar Minaya on Thursday. The 40-year-old outfielder denies asking for a contract extension, as reported in various media outlets.
“To me, an ace is not something that floats. It’s career
numbers stuff, to have that dominating pitcher year in and year out.
It’s an overused term.”
- Despite a 2.94 ERA since July, Randy Wolf deflects any talk about him as the staff ace.
He may never be an ace, but he’d be a decent cleanup hitter for the
Dodgers right now. After knocking in three runs with a homer, double
and single against the Diamondbacks on Sunday, Wolf drove in the only
two runs of Friday’s victory over the Cubs.
“I didn’t know I was like that. That would be a first for me.”
- Derek Jeter responds to comments made by Hall of Famer Jim Rice earlier this week.
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 23
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 26
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 59
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)