Aug 22, 2009, 6:30 PM EDT
– It looks like the Red Sox are losing patience with Brad Penny, as Tim Wakefield will return from the disabled list to take his turn in the rotation against the White Sox next week.
After getting hammered for eight runs over four innings against the
Yankees on Friday night, Penny has a 5.61 ERA over 24 starts with
Boston. Penny hasn’t completed seven innings in a start all season.
– The Diamondbacks have called up prospect first baseman Brandon Allen
from Triple-A Reno. Acquired from the White Sox in the Tony Pena trade
last month, the former 2004 fifth-round draft pick batted
.298/.373/.503 with 20 homers and 75 RBI between Double-A and Triple-A
this season. He profiles as Arizona’s first baseman of the future.
– The 1969 “Miracle Mets” will be honored before Saturday’s game against the Phillies, while the Pirates plan a similar celebration for the 30th anniversary of the “We Are Family” Pittsburgh club of 1979.
– Joel Sherman of the New York Post
asked seven major league executives which second baseman they would
rather have for the next five years: Dustin Pedroia or Robinson Cano. The general consensus may surprise you.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 315
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 55
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 39
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (326)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (159)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)