Aug 22, 2009, 6:30 PM EDT
– It looks like the Red Sox are losing patience with Brad Penny, as Tim Wakefield will return from the disabled list to take his turn in the rotation against the White Sox next week.
After getting hammered for eight runs over four innings against the
Yankees on Friday night, Penny has a 5.61 ERA over 24 starts with
Boston. Penny hasn’t completed seven innings in a start all season.
– The Diamondbacks have called up prospect first baseman Brandon Allen
from Triple-A Reno. Acquired from the White Sox in the Tony Pena trade
last month, the former 2004 fifth-round draft pick batted
.298/.373/.503 with 20 homers and 75 RBI between Double-A and Triple-A
this season. He profiles as Arizona’s first baseman of the future.
– The 1969 “Miracle Mets” will be honored before Saturday’s game against the Phillies, while the Pirates plan a similar celebration for the 30th anniversary of the “We Are Family” Pittsburgh club of 1979.
– Joel Sherman of the New York Post
asked seven major league executives which second baseman they would
rather have for the next five years: Dustin Pedroia or Robinson Cano. The general consensus may surprise you.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)