Aug 22, 2009, 6:30 PM EDT
- It looks like the Red Sox are losing patience with Brad Penny, as Tim Wakefield will return from the disabled list to take his turn in the rotation against the White Sox next week.
After getting hammered for eight runs over four innings against the
Yankees on Friday night, Penny has a 5.61 ERA over 24 starts with
Boston. Penny hasn’t completed seven innings in a start all season.
- The Diamondbacks have called up prospect first baseman Brandon Allen
from Triple-A Reno. Acquired from the White Sox in the Tony Pena trade
last month, the former 2004 fifth-round draft pick batted
.298/.373/.503 with 20 homers and 75 RBI between Double-A and Triple-A
this season. He profiles as Arizona’s first baseman of the future.
- The 1969 “Miracle Mets” will be honored before Saturday’s game against the Phillies, while the Pirates plan a similar celebration for the 30th anniversary of the “We Are Family” Pittsburgh club of 1979.
- Joel Sherman of the New York Post
asked seven major league executives which second baseman they would
rather have for the next five years: Dustin Pedroia or Robinson Cano. The general consensus may surprise you.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)