Aug 22, 2009, 12:27 PM EDT
A day after the surgically-repaired Billy Wagner showcased some legitimate mid-90s heat, he was claimed off waivers by the Red Sox, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com. Boston now has until Tuesday at 1pm ET to work out a deal for the 38-year-old southpaw.
Jayson Stark of ESPN.com reports that if the Mets want a prospect in return for Wagner, they will likely have to pick up at least some of the $3.5 million on his contract.
This number includes a $1 million buyout for next season. But Rosenthal
cites a source with knowledge of the club’s thinking that the Mets
would be reluctant to include money in a possible deal. Either way,
both sides should be pretty motivated to get a deal done by the Monday
But this is where it gets at least somewhat juicy. According to a “tweet” by Joel Sherman of the New York Post,
an AL executive speculated that the Red Sox may have claimed Wagner
over worries that Jonathan Papelbon’s mechanics and control are off.
Sherman made sure to note this was pure speculation on the executive’s
part, but concerns about Papelbon have some real merit, as the Boston
stopper has a career-worst 1.31 WHIP (remember, it was 0.77 in 2007)
and 3.98 BB/9 (previous high was 2.31 in 2007). He’s also relying on
his fastball less than ever before, and getting mixed results. Whether this is an organizational concern or not, Wagner is an insurance policy the Red Sox can easily absorb.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 46
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 49
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 64
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)