Potent quotables: Rice says he was 'misquoted'

Aug 23, 2009, 9:41 AM EDT

“Anybody who
reads that story knows I wasn’t talking about Jeter or Rodriguez. Look
at them. Do you see any baggy pants? Do you see any dreadlocks?”

- Hall-of-Famer Jim Rice says that just because you mention someone’s name doesn’t necessarily mean you are talking about them.

“That could be
part of it. I should have won the MVP that year, by the way. There was
a trial. I took responsibility for my participation in it. That
happened 24 years ago. And along with that, you’ve got the steroid
issue now. Baseball and the United States are supposed to be two
forgiving entities — why haven’t they forgiven me? Deal with me for
what I’ve done and for my numbers and just forgive. In ’75, my first
year as a regular (starter), people started identifying me as one of
the best players in the game, and then later on as the best player. If
the media can do that, they should be able to look at me and look at my
numbers and say, ‘This guy is a Hall-of-Famer.'”

- Speaking of the Hall of Fame, Dave Parker thinks his drug use is keeping him out.

“There were a
couple of heaters (when) I felt that I should have thrown a hook. I
step off and re-gather and that’s when the non-executed pitch came.
(Posada) calls fine back there. It’s just a matter of me throwing what
I want to throw. There’s no pattern there. I’ve had a great run now
with Jorge. So there’s no fingers to point but at me.”

- A.J. Burnett, who was visibly irritated in Saturday’s 14-1 loss to the Red Sox, denies any rift with his catcher Jorge Posada.

“Koozie’s the only guy who ever saw it. Maybe that’s Koozie’s urban myth.”

- Ron Swoboda comments on Jerry Koosman’s admission
that he was the one who rubbed the baseball on his shoe in Game 5 of
the 1969 World Series, granting Cleon Jones first base on a hit by
pitch. The Mets eventually defeated the Orioles 5-3, shocking the
baseball universe with their improbable World Series victory.

1. Doug Taylor - Aug 23, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Jim Rice comes a cross a bitter old man who is jealous of salaries that today’s players are earning. His memory is very short because back in his day his salary was far and above what the average wage earner earns even today. He should take his seat at those autograph tables earn his money and shut his mouth. Or he could get a real job in the real world and see how the average American earns their livings. By the way did he get paid speaking at that Little League function or did he do it gratis?

2. Matt - Aug 23, 2009 at 11:58 AM

Jim Rice shows none of the class expected of HOFer’s. IS it too late to take it back now?
    Now I see why he didn’t make it in all those years. I’m sure he never ever took a greenie when he was playing. Because that would be cheating….

3. hop - Aug 23, 2009 at 12:35 PM

Jim Rice cried his way into the HOF and never should have been voted in, he simply doesn’t have the numbers but the morons that do the voting for this prove time and time agian they are not qualified to do the job. Tony Perez anyone? Rice can’t hold a candle to the career Jeter has had and thats just reality. Rice has proven to be a moron just like the moron fan base he played for.

4. comnsnse - Aug 23, 2009 at 1:05 PM

Rice’s comments most definitely reflect a previous generation’s ideals which admired team concepts and restraint in both an athlete’s professional and private lives.If the current generation subscribes to the “just jumped out of the dumpster” look or one that more closely resembles the “fat and forty”softball dress code,you understand why society is going to hell in a handbasket! Jeter is as good a positive example on how one should conduct themselves on and off the field,and would have fit in any era.

5. Bobby Townsend - Aug 23, 2009 at 1:57 PM

I am sorry Jeter’s name ever came up in that conversation. But yes Rice does belong in the Hall based on his stats and what he bought to the Red Sox and who knows, if he didn’t break his hand right before the playoffs in 1975, the World Series may have turned out different.
    When he reached the big leagues late in the 1974 season, he was coming off a triple crown winning season in the International League, but in my view, he was perhaps one of the worst outfielders I had ever seen but learned thru hard work how to play the wall at Fenway (Yaz was a big help to him) and he continued to get better and better while his offensive numbers continued to be off the charts cumulated by his MVP season in 1978.
    If you want to compare him with Tony Perez their stats were basically the same except Perez played eight more years.
    Rice was never a media darling and given he really didn’t play a long career, I knew it may be tough for him to get in but when he says he was misquoted about Jeter, I believe him.

6. hop - Aug 23, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Rice was a career .225 post season hitter, even if he played in the “75 series those kind of numbers would not have changed anything. He choked when the games meant something and his career numbers clearly show he isn’t a HOF’er either. Only the moronic redsuk nation would think otherwise

7. Henry Hale - Aug 23, 2009 at 3:33 PM

I don’t know about the merits of Jim Rice being in the Hall, but I will speak of the merits of the comments made by “commnsnse” & “Bobby Townsend” compared to “hop” & “Doug Taylor”. The formers’ posts are what should be considered the gold standard in blogging etiquette, and the latter are what we get in the norm-nothing more than illogical, vitriolic garbage from the mouths of intellectually deficient human beings.
    You can find these types of comments all across the Internet, unfortunately. However, a true debate is one that is conducted by individuals, such as “Bobby Townsend” & “comnsnse”. Thank you guys/girs(?) for showing some intelligence.

8. yon - Aug 23, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Im just glad nobody has compared jete to a-rod. Watching Jeter play has been nothing but a pleasure for his entire career, you dont hear about Jeter pining for big money contracts, or on the front pages of tabloids on a daily basis. Jete represents class that all mlb players should have. A-Rod on the other hand has done nothing but call attention to himself on and off the field. He has been involved in or the cause of some of the more classless plays in baseball over the past five yrs. (The Bronson Arroyo slap play comes to mind.) He also cant seem to keep himself out of the tabloids. Now ppl may say this is because celebrities have no privacy in this age of cameras every where, but maybe if he called less attention to himself on and off the field his privacy would no longer be an issue.

9. Natic - Aug 23, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Hop You’re a fool Red Sox hater and it’s obvious. If you can’t say someting constructive to this blog then just let it be. Rice was one of the most feared hitters in the game for a 10 year span. great Post Bobby

10. Comnsnse - Aug 23, 2009 at 7:22 PM

Henry,thanks for the kind words,it is refreshing to find a kindred spirit once in awhile,especially on the sports blogs.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3606)