Aug 24, 2009, 2:10 AM EDT
St. Louis Cardinals star Albert Pujols was cranky on Sunday, helping cause a benches-clearing incident when he got into a verbal sparring session with San Diego’s Will Venable.
In the play in question, Venable hit a bouncer up the first base line. Pujols fielded the ball and tagged Venable, then all of holy heck broke loose.
“Last night he tried to run me over like he’s playing freakin’ football. A play like that you don’t try to run people over,” Pujols said. “Next time, if I would have known, I probably hit him in the face with the glove and tag him out there. He threw an elbow. He was out by a lot. It wasn’t necessary, even to avoid a tag. Last night he jammed my wrist a little bit, and then tonight he tried to throw an elbow. That’s pretty stupid.”
Sounds like Venables was auditioning for a role with the Charlestown Chiefs doesn’t it? Yeah, not so much.
Go ahead and watch the video of the play here.
Underwhelmed? So was Venable. It “was a whole lot of nothing,” he said.
He then went on to say: “Skip told me to start a fight with Albert. He was hoping we’d both get tossed, since it would take 10 of me to put together one of Albert’s seasons.”
OK I made that up. But I could see it happening, especially when you consider Pujol’s worth to the Cardinals. (check out the handy chart, courtesy of Umpbump)
So be cool Albert. Don’t worry about the Will Venables of the world. But if you just can’t take it anymore, talk to the Hanson brothers. They’ll take care of it for you.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)