Aug 24, 2009, 9:09 PM EDT
Adrian Beltre, apparently, is a gambling man.
The Mariners third baseman is trying to work his way back from the disabled list after being sidelined by a bad-hop grounder to his man region, resulting in a “severely contused testicle.” OUCH.
Beltre took infield and batting practice today, and is eligible to return on Friday.
We’ve already discussed Beltre’s aversion to wearing a cup, the main reason for the severity of his injury.
But interestingly, Beltre, an excellent defender, is still choosing comfort over safety, telling The News Tribune that he would wear a cup “against my will, maybe.”
“I’ve tried before. It’s uncomfortable. I hated it. If it’s going to happen every 11 years of my career, I’ll take my chances.”
In the same story, Beltre says when he was injured, he thought “it exploded.”
Nothing against Beltre. He’s a tough customer, and a great defensive third basemen. But once things start “exploding,” that would be enough for me.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 5
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 1
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 11
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 141
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (141)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)