Aug 24, 2009, 11:52 AM EST
* Spencer Fordin of MLB.com wrote a well-done article about Matt Wieters struggling to live up to the ridiculous hype as a rookie. Some people were referring to him as “Joe Mauer with power” when the Orioles called him up in late May, but a) Wieters is hitting just .264 with four homers through 60 games, and b) Joe Mauer is now “Joe Mauer with power.”
Wieters has hardly been a disaster, remains one of the best young catchers to come around in a long time, and has a whole bunch of All-Star games in his future, but Mauer is a totally different animal. Wieters is hitting .264 with a .310 on-base percentage and .370 slugging percentage as a 23-year-old. Mauer hit .347 to win his first batting title as a 23-year-old.
* Freddy Sanchez has a measly .697 OPS while playing in just 13 of 23 games since the Giants gave up one of their top pitching prospects to get him from the Pirates, and now the second baseman may be headed to the disabled list with lingering shoulder problems.
* As you might expect from someone who was placed on the disabled list with a testicle injury, Adrian Beltre won’t be coming off the shelf when eligible next week. “I think the swelling has going down a little slower than we thought,” manager Don Wakamatsu said. Lovely.
* So far, so good with Carlos Marmol in the closer role.
* A little league field in Nick Adenhart’s hometown of Halfway, Maryland has been named after the Angels pitcher who was killed by a drunk driver in April.
* Pat Burrell’s wife went 3-for-3 with three RBIs yesterday as the Rays’ spouses beat the Tampa Bay Bucs’ spouses in a charity softball game. However, as they say on the interwebs, this story is useless without pictures.
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 14
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 41
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15