Aug 24, 2009, 2:05 PM EDT
Ichiro Suzuki, on piling up infield hits in an era when “chicks dig the long ball”:
Chicks who dig home runs aren’t the ones who appeal to me. I think there’s sexiness in infield hits because they require technique. I’d rather impress the chicks with my technique than with my brute strength. Then, every now and then, just to show I can do that, too, I might flirt a little by hitting one out.
The latest in a long line of amusing quotes from the coolest player in baseball comes from Brad Lefton’s well-done article in the New York Times, which also notes that Ichiro has an MLB-leading 449 infield hits since joining the Mariners in 2001, including 43 this year when no one else has even 25.
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 20
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 44
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 101
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 59