Aug 25, 2009, 9:20 AM EDT
While it’s possible that the fates have already conspired against the Marlins (and the Braves or the Giants) from catching the Rockies and the NL wild card, they’re not admitting defeat yet, of course. Like the other contenders, they just have to keep plugging away and hope that Colorado eventually cools off. In the meantime, everything needs to break just right for them. This is not an example of something breaking right, however:
The Marlins have been patiently waiting for Nick Johnson’s tight right hamstring to loosen up so they could avoid having to put him on the disabled list.
The wait, however, isn’t paying off. The first baseman said he is not
feeling any better, and he does not think he will be back Tuesday when
the Marlins open a vital 10-game homestand beginning with the Mets.
On Sunday morning, Johnson hit off a tee and played catch. But when he
tested his hamstring with light running exercises at Turner Field, he
still felt discomfort.
They more or less have to DL the guy now, as they’ve been playing a man short for ten days.
I thought that the Johnson trade was a nifty little move for the Marlins, and given that he had been getting on base at a .500 clip since the trade, it was paying off. But the guy came with a serious injury history, so this isn’t the most unexpected thing in the world.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 104
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 74
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 47
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (105)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (84)
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. (76)