Aug 25, 2009, 9:20 AM EDT
While it’s possible that the fates have already conspired against the Marlins (and the Braves or the Giants) from catching the Rockies and the NL wild card, they’re not admitting defeat yet, of course. Like the other contenders, they just have to keep plugging away and hope that Colorado eventually cools off. In the meantime, everything needs to break just right for them. This is not an example of something breaking right, however:
The Marlins have been patiently waiting for Nick Johnson’s tight right hamstring to loosen up so they could avoid having to put him on the disabled list.
The wait, however, isn’t paying off. The first baseman said he is not
feeling any better, and he does not think he will be back Tuesday when
the Marlins open a vital 10-game homestand beginning with the Mets.
On Sunday morning, Johnson hit off a tee and played catch. But when he
tested his hamstring with light running exercises at Turner Field, he
still felt discomfort.
They more or less have to DL the guy now, as they’ve been playing a man short for ten days.
I thought that the Johnson trade was a nifty little move for the Marlins, and given that he had been getting on base at a .500 clip since the trade, it was paying off. But the guy came with a serious injury history, so this isn’t the most unexpected thing in the world.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 98
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 52
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 16
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 7
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 75
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (112)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (76)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful