Aug 25, 2009, 9:20 AM EDT
While it’s possible that the fates have already conspired against the Marlins (and the Braves or the Giants) from catching the Rockies and the NL wild card, they’re not admitting defeat yet, of course. Like the other contenders, they just have to keep plugging away and hope that Colorado eventually cools off. In the meantime, everything needs to break just right for them. This is not an example of something breaking right, however:
The Marlins have been patiently waiting for Nick Johnson’s tight right hamstring to loosen up so they could avoid having to put him on the disabled list.
The wait, however, isn’t paying off. The first baseman said he is not
feeling any better, and he does not think he will be back Tuesday when
the Marlins open a vital 10-game homestand beginning with the Mets.
On Sunday morning, Johnson hit off a tee and played catch. But when he
tested his hamstring with light running exercises at Turner Field, he
still felt discomfort.
They more or less have to DL the guy now, as they’ve been playing a man short for ten days.
I thought that the Johnson trade was a nifty little move for the Marlins, and given that he had been getting on base at a .500 clip since the trade, it was paying off. But the guy came with a serious injury history, so this isn’t the most unexpected thing in the world.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)