Aug 25, 2009, 9:20 AM EDT
While it’s possible that the fates have already conspired against the Marlins (and the Braves or the Giants) from catching the Rockies and the NL wild card, they’re not admitting defeat yet, of course. Like the other contenders, they just have to keep plugging away and hope that Colorado eventually cools off. In the meantime, everything needs to break just right for them. This is not an example of something breaking right, however:
The Marlins have been patiently waiting for Nick Johnson’s tight right hamstring to loosen up so they could avoid having to put him on the disabled list.
The wait, however, isn’t paying off. The first baseman said he is not
feeling any better, and he does not think he will be back Tuesday when
the Marlins open a vital 10-game homestand beginning with the Mets.
On Sunday morning, Johnson hit off a tee and played catch. But when he
tested his hamstring with light running exercises at Turner Field, he
still felt discomfort.
They more or less have to DL the guy now, as they’ve been playing a man short for ten days.
I thought that the Johnson trade was a nifty little move for the Marlins, and given that he had been getting on base at a .500 clip since the trade, it was paying off. But the guy came with a serious injury history, so this isn’t the most unexpected thing in the world.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)