Aug 25, 2009, 9:20 AM EDT
While it’s possible that the fates have already conspired against the Marlins (and the Braves or the Giants) from catching the Rockies and the NL wild card, they’re not admitting defeat yet, of course. Like the other contenders, they just have to keep plugging away and hope that Colorado eventually cools off. In the meantime, everything needs to break just right for them. This is not an example of something breaking right, however:
The Marlins have been patiently waiting for Nick Johnson’s tight right hamstring to loosen up so they could avoid having to put him on the disabled list.
The wait, however, isn’t paying off. The first baseman said he is not
feeling any better, and he does not think he will be back Tuesday when
the Marlins open a vital 10-game homestand beginning with the Mets.
On Sunday morning, Johnson hit off a tee and played catch. But when he
tested his hamstring with light running exercises at Turner Field, he
still felt discomfort.
They more or less have to DL the guy now, as they’ve been playing a man short for ten days.
I thought that the Johnson trade was a nifty little move for the Marlins, and given that he had been getting on base at a .500 clip since the trade, it was paying off. But the guy came with a serious injury history, so this isn’t the most unexpected thing in the world.
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 3
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 4
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 37
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)