Aug 25, 2009, 8:20 AM EDT
I hope Papelbon is happy. Rosenthal:
Billy Wagner is staying with the Mets. He will invoke his no-trade clause rather than accept a deal to the Red Sox, according to a major-league source.
The Sox said that they wouldn’t exercise his option, but would make no guarantees regarding offering him arbitration, which would make him a somewhat less desirable free agent. This part is understandable on some level, it kind of sits with me wrong:
Wagner, coming off Tommy John surgery, also was concerned about his health, a second source said. “It’s not about the option or arbitration. It’s about his desire to end the year healthy for the future,” the source said. “He
feels he has a better chance lasting a month in a less competitive
environment than perhaps two months in a pennant race and playoffs.”
Given how recent his surgery was this is understandable on some level. But there aren’t any guarantees in life, especially for a 38 year-old pitcher. You think he’d want another shot at the postseason.
And really, is staying with the Mets the best thing for someone who cares about his health? The way they’re going, I got even odds on them losing someone to the DL for dengue fever before the year is out.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 103
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 152
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (164)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (152)