Aug 25, 2009, 8:20 AM EDT
I hope Papelbon is happy. Rosenthal:
Billy Wagner is staying with the Mets. He will invoke his no-trade clause rather than accept a deal to the Red Sox, according to a major-league source.
The Sox said that they wouldn’t exercise his option, but would make no guarantees regarding offering him arbitration, which would make him a somewhat less desirable free agent. This part is understandable on some level, it kind of sits with me wrong:
Wagner, coming off Tommy John surgery, also was concerned about his health, a second source said. “It’s not about the option or arbitration. It’s about his desire to end the year healthy for the future,” the source said. “He
feels he has a better chance lasting a month in a less competitive
environment than perhaps two months in a pennant race and playoffs.”
Given how recent his surgery was this is understandable on some level. But there aren’t any guarantees in life, especially for a 38 year-old pitcher. You think he’d want another shot at the postseason.
And really, is staying with the Mets the best thing for someone who cares about his health? The way they’re going, I got even odds on them losing someone to the DL for dengue fever before the year is out.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)