Aug 25, 2009, 8:20 AM EST
I hope Papelbon is happy. Rosenthal:
Billy Wagner is staying with the Mets. He will invoke his no-trade clause rather than accept a deal to the Red Sox, according to a major-league source.
The Sox said that they wouldn’t exercise his option, but would make no guarantees regarding offering him arbitration, which would make him a somewhat less desirable free agent. This part is understandable on some level, it kind of sits with me wrong:
Wagner, coming off Tommy John surgery, also was concerned about his health, a second source said. “It’s not about the option or arbitration. It’s about his desire to end the year healthy for the future,” the source said. “He
feels he has a better chance lasting a month in a less competitive
environment than perhaps two months in a pennant race and playoffs.”
Given how recent his surgery was this is understandable on some level. But there aren’t any guarantees in life, especially for a 38 year-old pitcher. You think he’d want another shot at the postseason.
And really, is staying with the Mets the best thing for someone who cares about his health? The way they’re going, I got even odds on them losing someone to the DL for dengue fever before the year is out.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 0
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 278
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (278)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)