Aug 26, 2009, 2:44 AM EST
He’ll join the Houston Astros on Friday, then be activated when rosters expand on Tuesday, Sept. 1.
Boone has been playing in the minors since Aug. 10, and to be honest, he hasn’t done a whole lot, going 3-for-15 at Double-A Corpus Christi before moving up to Triple-A Round Rock, where he was 0-for-4 in two games.
But that’s really besides the point isn’t it?
Five months ago, doctors opened him up to perform an eight-hour procedure, cracking his sternum and replacing a leaky aortic valve. Now he’s back in the bigs.
Boone comes from a great baseball family. His brother, Bret, was a three-time All-Star with the Mariners, Reds, Braves and Padres. His father, Bob, was a four-time All-Star who caught more games than any catcher not named Carlton Fisk and Ivan Rodriguez. His grandfather Ray, was twice an All-Star.
Yet despite all that baseball royalty in his blood, Aaron Boone isn’t playing to earn accolades. Nor is he playing for money. He’s playing simply because he enjoys playing, and he enjoys life. (From the Statesman):
He may not play beyond 2009, a fate Boone said he’s comfortable with.
As he put it, “I’m looking forward to life after baseball.”
Not to mention life itself.
There’s a guy I can root for.
If you Twitter feel free to follow me at @Bharks.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)