Aug 26, 2009, 9:20 AM EDT
In light of Omar Minaya’s comments at yesterday’s press conference, one wonders how closely Johan Santana’s health has been monitored since coming to New York:
In his latest public slip-up, Minaya seemed to forget that Santana, his $137.5 million ace, had elbow problems in February and early March that jeopardized his availability for the start of the season. That happened “such a long time ago,” said Minaya, who added that he “did not remember that part” when asked whether he regretted not giving Santana a magnetic resonance imaging test in spring training.
I’ll leave it to the doctors to wonder whether or not Santana’s bone chips might have been discovered if he had been given an MRI back in the spring. I can’t help but wonder, however, whether Minaya’s apparent failure to grasp the health status of his team’s most important player isn’t evidence of a larger lack of interest in player health on the part of the team’s management. Which, you may recall, is not a new question.
It’s one thing to bemoan the injuries when they happen, but are we certain that the Mets are doing everything they can to prevent them?
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 55
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)