Aug 26, 2009, 12:45 PM EDT
Joe Crede is once again out of the Twins’ lineup, this time with complications from last year’s back surgery. He dropped into Minnesota’s price range this offseason following multiple back surgeries and various other health problems, and had to settle for an incentive-laden one-year deal after eight seasons in Chicago.
Despite having to accumulate plate appearances to make money Crede has played in just 88 of 126 games, and the amazing thing is that he’s been out of the lineup 30 percent of the time without spending a second on the disabled list. Instead he’s missed 3-5 games every couple weeks, leaving the Twins to play with a 24-man roster for long stretches while essentially being “day-to-day” for five months.
When healthy enough to play Crede provided some nice power in April and May, hitting .239/.304/.493 with nine homers in 37 games to go along with outstanding defense at third base. Unfortunately he’s hit just .222/.285/.371 with six homers in 51 games since then, and his various maladies have left the Twins sharing the other 42 starts among the fearsome foursome of Brendan Harris, Brian Buscher, Matt Tolbert, and Nick Punto.
Not coincidentally the Twins rank 11th in the 14-team league with a measly .695 OPS from third base, which is nothing new for them. Corey Koskie was Minnesota’s third baseman from 1999 to 2004, hitting .280/.373/.463 with 52 extra-base hits per 500 at-bats, but since losing him to free agency five years ago Twins third basemen have ranked 10th, 13th, 14th, 11th, and 11th in OPS among AL teams.
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 26
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 14
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 66
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 26
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)