Aug 27, 2009, 9:46 PM EDT
Matt Holliday has been energized since escaping the tomb that is Oakland’s McAFee Coliseum and joining the St. Louis Cardinals.
It was great timing for him, as he will be a free agent at the end of the season, and he’ll get plenty of extra exposure (as if he needs it) if the Cardinals make the playoffs, which looks likely. He’ll be among the most sought-after free agents on the market this coming winter.
But here’s the good news for Cardinals fans: Matt Holliday might not become a free agent at all.
In a radio interview with the Team 1380, Holliday was asked if it was possible he would sign an extension with the Cardinals before entering free agency.
His answer? “I think there’s a chance of that.”
He also expressed positive feelings about the Cardinals roster, playing in the same lineup as Albert Pujols, and the energy he gets playing in front of a packed house every night. You can listen to the interview here.
Hat tip to MLB trade rumors.
By the way, why is it that the Cardinals always seem to strike gold with their trade deadline acquisitions?
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)