Aug 27, 2009, 9:46 PM EDT
Matt Holliday has been energized since escaping the tomb that is Oakland’s McAFee Coliseum and joining the St. Louis Cardinals.
It was great timing for him, as he will be a free agent at the end of the season, and he’ll get plenty of extra exposure (as if he needs it) if the Cardinals make the playoffs, which looks likely. He’ll be among the most sought-after free agents on the market this coming winter.
But here’s the good news for Cardinals fans: Matt Holliday might not become a free agent at all.
In a radio interview with the Team 1380, Holliday was asked if it was possible he would sign an extension with the Cardinals before entering free agency.
His answer? “I think there’s a chance of that.”
He also expressed positive feelings about the Cardinals roster, playing in the same lineup as Albert Pujols, and the energy he gets playing in front of a packed house every night. You can listen to the interview here.
Hat tip to MLB trade rumors.
By the way, why is it that the Cardinals always seem to strike gold with their trade deadline acquisitions?
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 15
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)