Aug 27, 2009, 9:46 PM EDT
Matt Holliday has been energized since escaping the tomb that is Oakland’s McAFee Coliseum and joining the St. Louis Cardinals.
It was great timing for him, as he will be a free agent at the end of the season, and he’ll get plenty of extra exposure (as if he needs it) if the Cardinals make the playoffs, which looks likely. He’ll be among the most sought-after free agents on the market this coming winter.
But here’s the good news for Cardinals fans: Matt Holliday might not become a free agent at all.
In a radio interview with the Team 1380, Holliday was asked if it was possible he would sign an extension with the Cardinals before entering free agency.
His answer? “I think there’s a chance of that.”
He also expressed positive feelings about the Cardinals roster, playing in the same lineup as Albert Pujols, and the energy he gets playing in front of a packed house every night. You can listen to the interview here.
Hat tip to MLB trade rumors.
By the way, why is it that the Cardinals always seem to strike gold with their trade deadline acquisitions?
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 32
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)