Aug 27, 2009, 9:46 PM EST
Matt Holliday has been energized since escaping the tomb that is Oakland’s McAFee Coliseum and joining the St. Louis Cardinals.
It was great timing for him, as he will be a free agent at the end of the season, and he’ll get plenty of extra exposure (as if he needs it) if the Cardinals make the playoffs, which looks likely. He’ll be among the most sought-after free agents on the market this coming winter.
But here’s the good news for Cardinals fans: Matt Holliday might not become a free agent at all.
In a radio interview with the Team 1380, Holliday was asked if it was possible he would sign an extension with the Cardinals before entering free agency.
His answer? “I think there’s a chance of that.”
He also expressed positive feelings about the Cardinals roster, playing in the same lineup as Albert Pujols, and the energy he gets playing in front of a packed house every night. You can listen to the interview here.
Hat tip to MLB trade rumors.
By the way, why is it that the Cardinals always seem to strike gold with their trade deadline acquisitions?
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 59
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)