Aug 27, 2009, 9:46 PM EDT
Matt Holliday has been energized since escaping the tomb that is Oakland’s McAFee Coliseum and joining the St. Louis Cardinals.
It was great timing for him, as he will be a free agent at the end of the season, and he’ll get plenty of extra exposure (as if he needs it) if the Cardinals make the playoffs, which looks likely. He’ll be among the most sought-after free agents on the market this coming winter.
But here’s the good news for Cardinals fans: Matt Holliday might not become a free agent at all.
In a radio interview with the Team 1380, Holliday was asked if it was possible he would sign an extension with the Cardinals before entering free agency.
His answer? “I think there’s a chance of that.”
He also expressed positive feelings about the Cardinals roster, playing in the same lineup as Albert Pujols, and the energy he gets playing in front of a packed house every night. You can listen to the interview here.
Hat tip to MLB trade rumors.
By the way, why is it that the Cardinals always seem to strike gold with their trade deadline acquisitions?
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 8
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 55
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)