Aug 27, 2009, 11:41 AM EDT
* Milton Bradley added a little more fuel to the fire regarding his treatment by Cubs fans, hinting that he’s been the victim of racial taunts and revealing that he’s had “to listen to the waiters bad-mouthing me at another table” when he goes out to restaurants in Chicago. Asked if he regrets signing a three-year, $30 million contract with the Cubs this offseason, Bradley replied: “I don’t regret anything. I regret there are idiots in the world. That’s what I regret.”
* How bad have things gotten for the Mets? To replace injured left-hander Oliver Perez and his 6.82 ERA they added right-hander Lance Broadway and his 6.27 ERA … at Triple-A. Perhaps no one with an ERA under 6.00 in the minors was willing to risk bodily harm by joining the team?
* Jason Jennings has been one of the Rangers’ primary setup men all season, posting a 4.13 ERA and 44/28 K/BB ratio in 61 innings, but was designated for assignment this afternoon. He can blame the emergence of Neftali Feliz and Darren O’Day for being out of a gig.
* Much like my preemptive strike against the BBWAA for possibly voting for someone other than Joe Mauer as MVP next month, Sam Mellinger of the Kansas City Star prepares for the Royals’ terrible lineup and bullpen costing Zack Greinke the Cy Young award. And yet collectively baseball fans can’t seem to get past relying on 28 newspaper writers to determine awards.
* According to the New York Post‘s gossip column Derek Jeter and Minka Kelly are “secretly engaged.” First, that’s the best decision he’s made since roaming into the middle of the infield on the Jeremy Giambi flip play. Second, imagine getting to a point in life where you’re not even eager to tell everyone about your engagement to the insanely attractive woman on Friday Night Lights. I’m tempted to tell everyone when I watch Friday Night Lights.
- Red Sox place Hanley Ramirez on disabled list with shoulder injury 0
- J.A. Happ is thriving with the Pirates 1
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 46
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 68
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 59
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 150
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (150)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)