Aug 27, 2009, 11:41 AM EDT
* Milton Bradley added a little more fuel to the fire regarding his treatment by Cubs fans, hinting that he’s been the victim of racial taunts and revealing that he’s had “to listen to the waiters bad-mouthing me at another table” when he goes out to restaurants in Chicago. Asked if he regrets signing a three-year, $30 million contract with the Cubs this offseason, Bradley replied: “I don’t regret anything. I regret there are idiots in the world. That’s what I regret.”
* How bad have things gotten for the Mets? To replace injured left-hander Oliver Perez and his 6.82 ERA they added right-hander Lance Broadway and his 6.27 ERA … at Triple-A. Perhaps no one with an ERA under 6.00 in the minors was willing to risk bodily harm by joining the team?
* Jason Jennings has been one of the Rangers’ primary setup men all season, posting a 4.13 ERA and 44/28 K/BB ratio in 61 innings, but was designated for assignment this afternoon. He can blame the emergence of Neftali Feliz and Darren O’Day for being out of a gig.
* Much like my preemptive strike against the BBWAA for possibly voting for someone other than Joe Mauer as MVP next month, Sam Mellinger of the Kansas City Star prepares for the Royals’ terrible lineup and bullpen costing Zack Greinke the Cy Young award. And yet collectively baseball fans can’t seem to get past relying on 28 newspaper writers to determine awards.
* According to the New York Post‘s gossip column Derek Jeter and Minka Kelly are “secretly engaged.” First, that’s the best decision he’s made since roaming into the middle of the infield on the Jeremy Giambi flip play. Second, imagine getting to a point in life where you’re not even eager to tell everyone about your engagement to the insanely attractive woman on Friday Night Lights. I’m tempted to tell everyone when I watch Friday Night Lights.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 41
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 21
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 22
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 37
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (144)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (99)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)