Aug 27, 2009, 6:34 PM EDT
Well, that’s one of the risks that comes with stealing bases. Nyjer Morgan broke his left hand on a head-first slide on Thursday and will likely miss at least a month, if not the rest of the season.
Morgan, who had excelled as the Nationals’ center fielder since coming over from the Pirates, was hurt on his 59th attempt and 42nd successful steal of the year. He was hitting .351/.393/.435 as a Nat and .307/.369/.388 overall for the year. The hot streak may not have held up, but he was making a big difference with his defense. The stats said he was the game’s best left fielder during his time with the Pirates, and those numbers mostly held up after moving back to center in D.C.
With Morgan out of the mix, the Nationals will probably use a lot of Willie Harris in center the rest of the way, making him a nice asset in NL-only leagues. They’d prefer to keep Elijah Dukes in a corner. They may be willing to give Justin Maxwell an opportunity, though he’s been far from dominant while hitting .247/.346/.404 for Triple-A Syracuse. The toolsy 25-year-old has pretty good power and plenty of speed — he’s 34-for-42 stealing bases in the minors — but injuries have robbed him of much-needed development time and he’s fanned 133 times in 108 games this season.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 57
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?