Aug 27, 2009, 3:27 PM EST
- After one minor league start, Vicente Padilla makes his Dodger debut tonight in Colorado. The 31-year-old right-hander went 8-6 with a 4.92 ERA for the Rangers before being released early this month. He’ll be facing off against the surging Jorge De La Rosa, who has gone 10-1 in his last 12 starts. De La Rosa, though, is 0-4 with a 7.89 ERA lifetime versus the Dodgers. He’s allowed seven runs in 8 2/3 innings in his two starts against the club this year. The Dodgers bounced back from a tough loss Tuesday to win 6-1 last night and push their NL West lead back to three games.
- The Braves will turn to Javier Vazquez as they attempt to bounce back from a pair of disastrous home losses to the Padres. Vazquez has been an exceptional fantasy starter all year with his 3.14 ERA and 186 strikeouts, but as is his reputation, he often pitches just well enough to lose. He’s dropped his last two starts to fall to 10-9. The Padres will start Clayton Richard, who is 3-0 with a 3.67 ERA in five starts since coming over in the Jake Peavy deal.
Game of the Night
Chicago vs. Boston – The Red Sox go for a four-game sweep of the White Sox behind Junichi Tazawa, who shut out the Yankees for six innings last time out. Tazawa has a nice 3.57 ERA despite giving up 26 hits and seven walks in 17 2/3 innings since his callup this month. The White Sox will use John Danks, who has been the team’s most reliable pitcher lately. He’s 7-3 with a 2.99 ERA in his last 13 starts. However, he has lost all three of his career starts against the Red Sox, racking up a 6.06 ERA in the process. With four losses in a row, the White Sox have fallen into a tie with the Twins for second place in the AL Central, 4 1/2 games back for the Tigers.
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 65
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 251
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 160
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (253)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)