Aug 28, 2009, 12:45 PM EDT
Team USA released its roster for next month’s baseball World Cup and there are some interesting names among the 23 players who will try to repeat as champions, with a mix of minor-league veterans and top prospects with limited pro experience.
“We have what we think is a solid mix of young players and veterans on this team,” general manager Bob Watson said. “For the first time in over 30 years we head into a World Cup as the defending champion, and we think this team is more than capable of returning to the medal stand.”
Two years ago the team included Evan Longoria, Colby Rasmus, and Andy LaRoche, and this year’s roster also has some star power. Four of the top 20 picks in the 2008 draft are on the team, including No. 2 overall pick Pedro Alvarez of the Pirates and No. 11 overall pick Justin Smoak of the Rangers.
Alvarez and Smoak are both among the top dozen or so hitting prospects in baseball and could be in the majors to stay at some point next season, with Jason Castro of the Astros and Ike Davis of the Mets joining them from the 2008 top 20.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 27
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 43
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 32
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 35
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 84
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 89
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (190)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (103)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)