Aug 28, 2009, 1:06 AM EDT
The Yankees have sort of been like mailmen this season: nothing has slowed them down. Not rain, nor sleet nor snow … and certainly not the Red Sox. They just keep delivering victory after victory.
But for Yankees fans, the injury to Jorge Posada might be cause for concern. For those of you who don’t (gasp!) pay attention to what goes on in the Bronx, Posada had to leave Wednesday’s game after taking a foul ball off his left ring finger. (Watch the video here)
The X-rays came back negative, but Posada, who termed the injury a “bruised joint”, did not play in Thursday’s loss to Texas.
According to the New York Times, manager Joe Girardi might give his catcher a week off once the rosters expand to 40 on Sept. 1, provided the Yankees feel comfortable about their AL East lead at the time. Jose Molina and Francisco Cervelli would share playing time.
But according to Posada, simply sitting for a week won’t be enough to do the trick.
When he said he needed rest for the finger to heal, he meant that he needed extended rest for the swelling to subside and for the finger to be pain free.
“I don’t think it’s going to heal until the season is over,” Posada said. “The joint is bruised. There’s not much I can do.”
Posada has received his fair share of criticism this season, primarily for his game-calling abilities. CC Sabathia has Molina as his personal catcher, and A.J. Burnett has clashed with Posada over his pitch calling.
But without him in the lineup, the Yankees suffer a severe drop in production. Witness the numbers:
Andy Pettitte told the Times that the Yankees were too good “not to get this done,” meaning, win a championship. But the road just got a little bit tougher.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)