Aug 28, 2009, 11:49 AM EDT
* Victor Martinez said yesterday that he’d “definitely” want to sign a long-term contract extension with the Red Sox, adding: “Who wouldn’t want to play here in Boston? It’s up to them, but from my side, I would want to stay here. Hopefully they want to do something. I would be more than happy to sit down and talk.”
Boston has a $7.5 million team option on Martinez for next season that will definitely be exercised, so there’s no rush to work something out. Martinez has hit .313/.385/.521 with five homers and 18 RBIs in 24 games for the Red Sox, starting 13 times at catcher and 10 times at first base.
* Now that they’re out of contention the Brewers placed a handful of veteran players on waivers this week. Trevor Hoffman has reportedly been claimed, meaning that Milwaukee is only able to negotiate with one team, but Mike Cameron, Craig Counsell, Braden Looper, and Jason Kendall can be shopped freely after clearing waivers. All but Counsell are eligible to fetch the Brewers draft-pick compensation if they leave as free agents this offseason, so general manager Doug Melvin indicated yesterday that deals are unlikely.
* Sidelined since mid-May with valley fever, Conor Jackson admitted yesterday that he’s unlikely to play again this season and Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic speculates that the Diamondbacks may cut him loose this winter rather than go to arbitration.
* Good news for the rest of the AL Central: Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that “the Royals ownership group is discussing a contract extension for general manager Dayton Moore.”
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 0
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 34
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 25
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 60
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)