Aug 28, 2009, 11:49 AM EDT
* Victor Martinez said yesterday that he’d “definitely” want to sign a long-term contract extension with the Red Sox, adding: “Who wouldn’t want to play here in Boston? It’s up to them, but from my side, I would want to stay here. Hopefully they want to do something. I would be more than happy to sit down and talk.”
Boston has a $7.5 million team option on Martinez for next season that will definitely be exercised, so there’s no rush to work something out. Martinez has hit .313/.385/.521 with five homers and 18 RBIs in 24 games for the Red Sox, starting 13 times at catcher and 10 times at first base.
* Now that they’re out of contention the Brewers placed a handful of veteran players on waivers this week. Trevor Hoffman has reportedly been claimed, meaning that Milwaukee is only able to negotiate with one team, but Mike Cameron, Craig Counsell, Braden Looper, and Jason Kendall can be shopped freely after clearing waivers. All but Counsell are eligible to fetch the Brewers draft-pick compensation if they leave as free agents this offseason, so general manager Doug Melvin indicated yesterday that deals are unlikely.
* Sidelined since mid-May with valley fever, Conor Jackson admitted yesterday that he’s unlikely to play again this season and Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic speculates that the Diamondbacks may cut him loose this winter rather than go to arbitration.
* Good news for the rest of the AL Central: Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that “the Royals ownership group is discussing a contract extension for general manager Dayton Moore.”
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 47
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 58
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)