Aug 28, 2009, 11:49 AM EDT
* Victor Martinez said yesterday that he’d “definitely” want to sign a long-term contract extension with the Red Sox, adding: “Who wouldn’t want to play here in Boston? It’s up to them, but from my side, I would want to stay here. Hopefully they want to do something. I would be more than happy to sit down and talk.”
Boston has a $7.5 million team option on Martinez for next season that will definitely be exercised, so there’s no rush to work something out. Martinez has hit .313/.385/.521 with five homers and 18 RBIs in 24 games for the Red Sox, starting 13 times at catcher and 10 times at first base.
* Now that they’re out of contention the Brewers placed a handful of veteran players on waivers this week. Trevor Hoffman has reportedly been claimed, meaning that Milwaukee is only able to negotiate with one team, but Mike Cameron, Craig Counsell, Braden Looper, and Jason Kendall can be shopped freely after clearing waivers. All but Counsell are eligible to fetch the Brewers draft-pick compensation if they leave as free agents this offseason, so general manager Doug Melvin indicated yesterday that deals are unlikely.
* Sidelined since mid-May with valley fever, Conor Jackson admitted yesterday that he’s unlikely to play again this season and Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic speculates that the Diamondbacks may cut him loose this winter rather than go to arbitration.
* Good news for the rest of the AL Central: Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that “the Royals ownership group is discussing a contract extension for general manager Dayton Moore.”
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 0
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 51
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 77
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 65
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)