Aug 28, 2009, 11:49 AM EDT
* Victor Martinez said yesterday that he’d “definitely” want to sign a long-term contract extension with the Red Sox, adding: “Who wouldn’t want to play here in Boston? It’s up to them, but from my side, I would want to stay here. Hopefully they want to do something. I would be more than happy to sit down and talk.”
Boston has a $7.5 million team option on Martinez for next season that will definitely be exercised, so there’s no rush to work something out. Martinez has hit .313/.385/.521 with five homers and 18 RBIs in 24 games for the Red Sox, starting 13 times at catcher and 10 times at first base.
* Now that they’re out of contention the Brewers placed a handful of veteran players on waivers this week. Trevor Hoffman has reportedly been claimed, meaning that Milwaukee is only able to negotiate with one team, but Mike Cameron, Craig Counsell, Braden Looper, and Jason Kendall can be shopped freely after clearing waivers. All but Counsell are eligible to fetch the Brewers draft-pick compensation if they leave as free agents this offseason, so general manager Doug Melvin indicated yesterday that deals are unlikely.
* Sidelined since mid-May with valley fever, Conor Jackson admitted yesterday that he’s unlikely to play again this season and Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic speculates that the Diamondbacks may cut him loose this winter rather than go to arbitration.
* Good news for the rest of the AL Central: Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that “the Royals ownership group is discussing a contract extension for general manager Dayton Moore.”
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 0
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 17
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 35
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 18
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)