Aug 28, 2009, 8:50 AM EST
The Chicago Tribune’s Phil Rogers thinks that there’s only one thing to do with Milton Bradley:
My recommendation: Release him . . . As of Wednesday, when Bradley declared he roots for nine-inning games
because he can’t wait to get home, Hendry no longer can cross his
fingers and hope Bradley becomes the player he pictured he would be in
right field at Wrigley Field. He has to do something to get him off the roster, the sooner the better.
I agree with the idea of getting rid of Bradley. He’s turned into an unmitigated disaster in Chicago. I disagree, however, that the Cubs should simply release him. Rogers’ view of this is informed by the idea that the only way to trade Bradley would be to take on one of the games’ truly bad contracts in return like Aaron Rowand or somebody’s. Wouldn’t it be possible, however, for the Cubs to simply offer to eat a large portion of the $21 million owed to Bradley and try to get at least something in return? Even a low level prospect is better than nothing, right?
Maybe I’m just dreaming, though. While it looked for a few brief shining moments in 2008 that Bradley had turned the corner on his old rep and had matured, it’s possible that he has burnt so many bridges at this point that no one would want him at even the lowest of prices.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)