Aug 28, 2009, 8:50 AM EDT
The Chicago Tribune’s Phil Rogers thinks that there’s only one thing to do with Milton Bradley:
My recommendation: Release him . . . As of Wednesday, when Bradley declared he roots for nine-inning games
because he can’t wait to get home, Hendry no longer can cross his
fingers and hope Bradley becomes the player he pictured he would be in
right field at Wrigley Field. He has to do something to get him off the roster, the sooner the better.
I agree with the idea of getting rid of Bradley. He’s turned into an unmitigated disaster in Chicago. I disagree, however, that the Cubs should simply release him. Rogers’ view of this is informed by the idea that the only way to trade Bradley would be to take on one of the games’ truly bad contracts in return like Aaron Rowand or somebody’s. Wouldn’t it be possible, however, for the Cubs to simply offer to eat a large portion of the $21 million owed to Bradley and try to get at least something in return? Even a low level prospect is better than nothing, right?
Maybe I’m just dreaming, though. While it looked for a few brief shining moments in 2008 that Bradley had turned the corner on his old rep and had matured, it’s possible that he has burnt so many bridges at this point that no one would want him at even the lowest of prices.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 9
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 18
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 16
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 37
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)