Aug 28, 2009, 8:20 AM EDT
Conventional wisdom seems to be coalescing around the idea that no one will claim Brad Penny off of waivers, but that once he clears them on Monday the Giants and Marlins are the best bet. There was some talk about the Rockies, where his presence would make a lot of sense in light of Aaron Cook being out, but people who know the Rockies are saying it’s not happening, mostly because Jim Tracy used to manage Penny in L.A. and doesn’t much care for him.
Rosenthal’s reasoning on Penny in San Francisco is sound: “He would make sense as a starter for the Giants, who are using left-
hander Joe Martinez as the replacement for the injured Randy Johnson” Indeed, in light of the fact that Martinez got lit up like a Christmas tree by the Diamondbacks last night, they may be even more urgent than we thought.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 7
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 54
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20