Aug 28, 2009, 8:20 AM EDT
Conventional wisdom seems to be coalescing around the idea that no one will claim Brad Penny off of waivers, but that once he clears them on Monday the Giants and Marlins are the best bet. There was some talk about the Rockies, where his presence would make a lot of sense in light of Aaron Cook being out, but people who know the Rockies are saying it’s not happening, mostly because Jim Tracy used to manage Penny in L.A. and doesn’t much care for him.
Rosenthal’s reasoning on Penny in San Francisco is sound: “He would make sense as a starter for the Giants, who are using left-
hander Joe Martinez as the replacement for the injured Randy Johnson” Indeed, in light of the fact that Martinez got lit up like a Christmas tree by the Diamondbacks last night, they may be even more urgent than we thought.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (211)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (121)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)