Aug 29, 2009, 3:24 PM EDT
A team designating a marginal reliever for assignment at the end of August normally isn’t all that blog-worthy, but R.A. Dickey — who was just DFA’d by the Twins — isn’t just any marginal reliever. He’s a knuckleballer, and I have a thing for knuckleballers, so this news makes me sad.
The only saving grace in all of this is that the reason he was DFA’d was to make room for Ron Mahay. While no knuckleballer, Mahay is a former position-player/strikebreaker/LOOGY, so at least Dickey’s weirdness is being somewhat accounted for. Beats adding some nondescript fifth outfielder.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)