Aug 29, 2009, 3:24 PM EDT
A team designating a marginal reliever for assignment at the end of August normally isn’t all that blog-worthy, but R.A. Dickey — who was just DFA’d by the Twins — isn’t just any marginal reliever. He’s a knuckleballer, and I have a thing for knuckleballers, so this news makes me sad.
The only saving grace in all of this is that the reason he was DFA’d was to make room for Ron Mahay. While no knuckleballer, Mahay is a former position-player/strikebreaker/LOOGY, so at least Dickey’s weirdness is being somewhat accounted for. Beats adding some nondescript fifth outfielder.
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 10
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 46
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 41
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 19
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72