Aug 29, 2009, 3:24 PM EST
A team designating a marginal reliever for assignment at the end of August normally isn’t all that blog-worthy, but R.A. Dickey — who was just DFA’d by the Twins — isn’t just any marginal reliever. He’s a knuckleballer, and I have a thing for knuckleballers, so this news makes me sad.
The only saving grace in all of this is that the reason he was DFA’d was to make room for Ron Mahay. While no knuckleballer, Mahay is a former position-player/strikebreaker/LOOGY, so at least Dickey’s weirdness is being somewhat accounted for. Beats adding some nondescript fifth outfielder.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)