Aug 29, 2009, 3:24 PM EDT
A team designating a marginal reliever for assignment at the end of August normally isn’t all that blog-worthy, but R.A. Dickey — who was just DFA’d by the Twins — isn’t just any marginal reliever. He’s a knuckleballer, and I have a thing for knuckleballers, so this news makes me sad.
The only saving grace in all of this is that the reason he was DFA’d was to make room for Ron Mahay. While no knuckleballer, Mahay is a former position-player/strikebreaker/LOOGY, so at least Dickey’s weirdness is being somewhat accounted for. Beats adding some nondescript fifth outfielder.
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 17
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 17
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 15
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)